Leroy Van Dyke The Auctioneer
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$18.82 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.17 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 10, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Bear Family
- 1.The Auctioneer
- 2.I Fell in Love with a Pony Tail
- 3.Leather Jacket
- 4.I'm Movin' On
- 5.My Good Mind (Went Bad on Me)
- 6.Heartbreak Cannonball
- 7.Chicken Shack Boogie
- 8.One Heart
- 9.Poor Boy
- 10.What This Old World Needs
- 11.Everytime I Ask My Heart
- 12.The Pocketbook Song
- 13.Down at the South End of Town
- 14.Honky Tonk Song
- 15.One Heart
Personnel: Leroy Van Dyke (vocals); The Jordanaires (vocals); Andy Nelson (guitar).
Liner Note Author: Rich Kienzle.
Recording information: Hollywood, CA (01/1956); Universal Studio, Chicago, IL (01/1956).
Illustrator: R.A. Andreas.
Photographer: R.A. Andreas.
Unknown Contributor Role: Leroy Van Dyke.
"Auctioneer" wasn't the first song to set bid-calling to music, but it was the most successful. Leroy Van Dyke, a real-life auctioneer, wrote and recorded the song as his first single for Dot Records, and in so doing scored a major crossover hit on the pop and country charts. The arrangement is deceptively simple, consisting only of Van Dyke on voice and acoustic guitar, and a session player on electric guitar. The flip side of the single, "I Fell in Love with a Pony Tail," found Van Dyke balancing between country and teen-oriented music, which foreshadowed his coming experiments with pop and rockabilly. The Auctioneer is an anthology of Van Dyke's complete Dot recordings from 1956-1958, including the aforementioned songs. The material varies in style and quality as Dot tried to sell Van Dyke as another Pat Boone or Sanford Clark. There are rock remakes of country and R&B songs ("I'm Movin' On," "Chicken Shack Boogie"); rock songs ("Leather Jacket," a cover of Elvis Presley's "Poor Boy"), and attempts to reprise the "Auctioneer" formula ("Down at the South End of Town.") Despite the inclusion of several previously unreleased songs and one alternate take, the collection has only 15 tracks, which is brief by Bear Family's standards. Bear Family's anthology of Van Dyke's Mercury recordings, Walk on By, offers nearly twice as many songs for the same price. On the other hand, the original hit recording of "Auctioneer" is hard to find on CD, and The Auctioneer is one place where it can be found. ~ Greg Adams
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 4000127156471
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
King of Country Music [Bear Family Box Set] (2-CD)
$37.65 LABOR DAY
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Merle Haggard My Favorite Memory / Big City (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- George Jones / Tammy Wynette Golden Ring / Near You (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY