Doyle Lawson Best of The Sugar Hill Years
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 16, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Sugarhill
- 1.He Put A Rainbow In The Clouds For Me [2:32]
- 2.On The Sea of Life [2:05]
- 3.Calm The Storm [1:45]
- 4.Gone Away [3:22]
- 5.When The Sun of My Life Goes Down [2:03]
- 6.When Life Is Over [3:27]
- 7.A Vision of Jesus [2:53]
- 8.Climbing Up The Mountain [1:47]
- 9.Paradise Is Waiting [2:54]
- 10.Let Us Travel On [2:51]
- 11.Little Mountain Church House [2:45]
- 12.Move To The Top of The Mountain [2:10]
- 13.There's A Light Guiding Me [4:12]
- 14.I Have Found The Way [2:41]
- 15.Peace Like A River [3:55]
- 16.Up Above The World So High [2:48]
- 17.I'll Keep On Sailing [2:33]
- 18.My Heavenly Home [3:25]
Personnel: Doyle Lawson (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Jimmy Haley, Russell Moore, Barry Scott , Jamie Dailey (vocals, guitar); Dale Perry, Scott Vestal, Terry Baucom, Barry Abernathy (vocals, banjo); Doug Bartlett (vocals, fiddle); Randy Graham, Jim Mills, Lou Reid , Ray Deaton, Steve Gulley, Curtis Vestal (vocals); Jerry Douglas (dobro); Glen Duncan , Hunter Berry, Bobby Hicks (fiddle).
Audio Remasterer: Dominick Maita.
Liner Note Author: Craig Havighurst.
Photographers: Sue Meyer; Michael Wilson .
Arranger: Doyle Lawson.
At a time when many bluegrass performers were drawn into the newgrass revival of the 1970s, Doyle Lawson was moving back in time, deeper into tradition. Whether working within secular or gospel bluegrass, Lawson gained a reputation for heading top-notch bands capable of tight musicianship and even tighter harmony. While Lawson has been properly singled out as an outstanding musician, his work has been defined within a group setting. Whether one mentions his secular recordings or his well-respected a cappella gospel recordings, it is the strength of Lawson and the players he has surrounded himself with that defines both styles. Best of the Sugar Hill Years captures Lawson in a number of settings from 1979 through 2001, offering an excellent overview of his work. Because Lawson sticks to his bluegrass and gospel roots, the collection holds together well despite the 23 years between "He Put a Rainbow in the Clouds for Me" and "My Beautiful Home." Perhaps the highlight, and the element that most sticks out in Lawson's career, is the a cappella harmony that graces songs like "When the Sun of My Life Goes Down" and "Climbing Up the Mountain." In both cases, four-part harmony provides a rich sonic listening experience, whether one adheres to the fundamentalist-based lyrics or not. Best of the Sugar Hill Years is a good introduction to one of bluegrass' finest traditional artists. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)(2)
$12.57 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Waylon Jennings The One And Only / Heartaches By The Numbers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Chet Atkins Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash The Singing Storyteller / The Rough Cut King of Country Music (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Don Gibson Hurtin' Inside / I Love You So Much It Hurts (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE