- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Strand Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Audio Commentary: Tom Kalin - Director, Christine Vachon - Producer, Craig Chester - Star
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Original Theatrical Poster
- Unused Poster Art
- Photo Gallery of Filmmakers and Film
- Photo Gallery of the Leopold and Loeb Trial
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 10/01/1992
"...[This] haunting and visionary film is a stunning debut..."
New York Times - 03/27/1992
"...Wildly audacious....Dazzlingly well realized..."
Los Angeles Times - 09/25/1992
"...Inventive....As a dark poem of love and madness, SWOON has an eerie power..."
USA Today - 06/04/1993
Film Comment - 12/01/2004
"Shot in radiant black and white, the smoke-sexy atmosphere re-envelops the Leopold and Loeb thrill-killer tryst..."
The shocking story of Leopold and Loeb, two homosexuals who were charged in the 1924 kidnapping and murder of a young boy. Two other films were based on the famous incident, Hitchcock's "Rope" and "Compulsion" starring Orson Welles.
Two gay lovers, estranged from society, concoct a bizarre plot: the deliberate murder of an innocent. Ultimately the young men are arrested and tried for the killing.
Based on the infamous Leopold and Loeb murder trial, "Swoon" presents these lovers as victims -- like the small boy they slaughter, the two appear as sacrificial lambs.
This interesting study on the hate that hate breeds goes beyond the shocking crime and into the self-loathing in the killers' minds.
Gay / Lesbian |
Kidnapping And Missing Persons |
Theatrical Release |
- Shot in Alpha Cine b&w.
- Shown at Sundance Film Festival, Park City, Utah January 23, 1992.
- This the third film based on the notorious Loeb and Leopold murder trial, the others were Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope" and Richard Fleischer's "Compulsion".
- Additional cast members include: Isabela Araujo, Jill Buchanan, Trash, Trasharama, Nashom Wooden (Venus in Furs Divas); Peter Bowen (Industrial Area Workman); Ryan Landry (Ivory); Mona Foot (Mona Foot/Diva); Christopher Hoover (Elektra Luxe); Paul Connor (Bobby Franks); Brent Charleton (Irving Hartman); Christopher Cangelosi (Little Boy in park) and Dick Callaghan, Craig Paull, Carlos Rodriguez, Elion Sacker, Emmitt Thrower and Eric J. Wiggins III (Country Workmen).
- Copyright 1992 Fine Line Features