Sony Screen Classics by Request (series)
Who really set the town aflame?...
|You Save:||$9.01 (33% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 16, 2010
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Bette Davis, Kim Hunter, Kevin Coughlin, Paul Kelly, Brian Keith, Joe Mantell & Kevin Coughlin|
|Directed by||Daniel Taradash|
|Screenwriting by||Daniel Taradash & Elick Moll|
|Composition by||George Duning|
|Produced by||Julian Blaustein|
|Director of Photography:||Burnett Guffey|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Davis is a widowed librarian in a small town who has worked so long at the library that she feels she is the proprietor, rather than the custodian, of the books. She becomes the center of a censorship controversy during the 1950's red scare, when she refuses to remove a book off the shelves that is considered communistic.
Trouble brews when a widowed, small town librarian takes a stand against censorship. The trouble begins when the town fathers ask that she remove a book from the shelf because they deem it a pro-communist tract and fear it will taint susceptible young minds. She sees the idiocy of their request and defies them. They in turn fire her and replace her with her old friend and assistant. The town judge considers the whole mess a gross miscarriage of justice and demands a trial. This gives an ambitious young lawyer, the boyfriend of the new librarian the opportunity to do a little grandstanding by publicly proclaiming the highly-principled widow a communist. The poor woman suddenly finds herself the town pariah; her only remaining friend is a small boy she used to talk to in the library. He plays a key role in restoring her good name.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Movies & TV with some of the same main people:
- Storm Center (DVD-R) ~ $17.98 on SALE
- 1001 Arabian Nights (Widescreen) (DVD-R) ~ $17.98 on SALE
- 13 West Street (Widescreen) (DVD-R) ~ $17.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
Death on the Nile (Deluxe Version) (DVD)
$7.17 Super Savings
- 100 Greatest Cult Classics (25-DVD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Too Hot To Handle (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Anna Christie (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE