- Rated: Not Rated
- Video: Color
- Released: August 16, 2010
- Originally Released: 1945
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Discontinue that so-called Polonaise jumble you've been playing for days."
- George Sand (MERLE OBERON) to Chopin (CORNEL WILDE)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Lush musical biography of Frederic Chopin: composer, patriot and lover. All-star cast features PaulMuni and Merle Oberon.
A film biography of one of the world's most beloved composer of the romantic era - Frederic Chopin. After being expelled from Poland for refusing to play for the Czarist governor, Chopin settled in Paris where his famous liaison with George Sand took place. Academy Award Nominations: 6, including Best Actor--Cornel Wilde, Best Original Story.
This lavish musical biography follows the life of the pianist and composer Frédéric Chopin from his humble beginnings as a child prodigy in Poland. Later, in protest against Czarist rule in their native country, the 22-year-old Chopin and his music teacher flee to Paris. But Chopin falls in love with the writer George Sand and, instead of performing in Europe, he goes off with her to Majorca. However, Chopin's political convictions resurface and even though he's gravely ill, he undertakes a concert tour to raise funds for the liberation of Poland.
- José Iturbi plays the piano pieces for the role of Chopin.
- José Iturbi's recording of "Polonaise in A Flat" from this film sold over a million copies.
- Additional cast: Claire DuBrey (Madame Mercier), Fern Emmett (Madame Lambert), Sybil Merritt (Isabelle Chopin).
- Additional credits: Marlo Silva (musical supervisor).
This product is made-on-demand by the manufacturer using DVD-R recordable media.
Almost all DVD players can play DVD-Rs (except for some older models made before 2000) -
please consult your owner's manual for formats compatible with your player.
These DVD-Rs may not play on all computers or DVD player/recorders.
To address this, the manufacturer recommends viewing this product on a DVD player
that does not have recording capability.