- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 18 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 23, 2008
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary
- Additional Material:
Interviews: Cast & Creator
- L.A. CONFIDENTIAL TV Series Plot
- Making Of L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
- Sunlight And Shadows: The Visual Style Of L.A. Confidential
- The L.A. Of L.A. CONFIDENTIAL Interactive Map Tour
- Director Curtis Hanson's Photo Pitch
- Storyboard - L.A. CONFIDENTIAL - From Book To Screen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I admire you as a policeman, particularly your adherence to violence as a necessary adjunct to the job."
- Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell) to Bud White (Russell Crowe)
"There's blood on your shirt. Is that an integral part of your job'"--Lynn Bracken (Kim Basinger) to Bud White
"Do you enjoy it'"--Lynn Bracken
"When they deserve it."--Bud White
"Did they deserve it today'"--Lynn Bracken
"I'm not sure."--Bud White
"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush."
- Sid Hudgens (Danny De Vito)
Academy Awards 1997 -
Best Adapted Screenplay: Brian Helgeland & Curtis Hanson
Academy Awards 1997 -
Best Supporting Actress: Kim Basinger
USA Today - 09/19/1997
"...Savory color schemes provide a vibrant backdrop for L.A. Confidential....Spacey puts the pride in snide and is a joy to watch..." -- 3 1/2 out of 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 05/30/1997
"...L.A. Confidential brings the rancid thrill of corruption crackingly alive..."
New York Times - 09/19/1997
"...Resplendently wicked L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is a tough, gorgeous, vastly entertaining throwback to the Hollywood that did things right..."
Los Angeles Times - 09/19/1997
"...A dark, dangerous and intoxicating tale of big trouble in paradise, smartly done with the blackest possible humor..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/19/1997
"...There are convincing characters here....Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce are two Australian actors who here move convincingly into starmaking roles..."
Total Film - 04/01/2004
"[A] crime classic. Faithful in spirit to James Ellroy's grimy masterpiece....Irresistible but deadly."
Wall Street Journal - 11/18/2010
"[T]he style is delicately ironic. Curtis Hanson directed a flawless cast..."
Big City |
Essential Cinema |
Film Noir |
- Theatrical release: September 19, 1997.
- Filmed in and around Los Angeles and Hollywood, California.
- Curtis Hanson and Brian Helgeland wrote seven drafts of the script before settling on the final version.
- L.A. CONFIDENTIAL included 80 speaking parts and used 45 different locations.
- Both Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce are Australian. Hanson specifically chose lesser known actors to play these roles while filling the role of James Vincennes, the celebrity cop, with a well-known star, Kevin Spacey.