The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (Full Screen)
Sony Screen Classics by Request (series)
|You Save:||$9.01 (33% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: PG
- Video: Color
- Released: August 16, 2010
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Brad Davis, Jeff Daniels, Eric Bogosian, Daniel Jenkins, Michael Murphy, Kevin O'Connor & Peter Gallagher|
|Performer:||David Miller, Jeff Daniels, Eric Bogosian, Peter Gallagher & Michael Murphy|
|Directed by||Robert Altman|
|Edited by||Dorian Harris|
|Cinematography by||Jacek Laskus|
|Produced by||John Flaxman & Robert Altman|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"The Navy is just a masterplan designed by geniuses for execution by idiots."
- Lt. Stephen Maryk (Jeff Daniels)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Adapted for television by author Herman Wouk, THE CAINE MUTINY COURT-MARTIAL recounts the powerful story of Naval trial proceedings against a young lieutenant who relieved his captain of command of the destroyer-minesweeper U.S.S. Caine at the height of a typhoon. This quality telefilm is courtroom drama at its finest.
Director Robert Altman adapts Herman Wouk's 1951 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel and play into a thrilling made-for-television courtroom drama. The gripping story recounts the events that preceded the court martial of Navy Lieutenant Stephen Maryk (Jeff Daniels), who led a mutiny against his commanding officer, Captain Queg (Brad Davis) when he became convinced that the Captain had lost a grip on his sanity. His defense attorney, Air Force lawyer Lt. Barney Greenwald (Eric Bogosian), standing apart somewhat as the only Jewish officer, is a seemingly uninterested participant, yet by the time he recalls Queg to testify for the defense, his mysterious tactics gradually make his intentions apparent. Altman's retelling of the classic, true story is an extremely precise and tense drama. He uses the film's one main location to his advantage, employing slow zooms and taut editing in order to create an even more claustrophobic atmosphere. The film, which features an all-star cast--including Altman regulars Gallagher and Michael Murphy--contains a flawless performance by Bogosian as the fish-out-of water Greenwald.
The controversial true story of the Caine Mutiny comes to life once again with this sterling adaptation directed by Robert Altman. After a seemingly guilty lieutenant is court-martialed for organizing a mutiny against his commanding officer, the Navy appoints a Jewish Air Force lawyer to defend him. The lawyer's indifferent attitude toward the case at the beginning baffles all involved participants, but his skill and agenda is eventually made clear. Altman's made-for-television drama boasts a highly memorable performance by Eric Bogosian.
- The film was shot on location at Fort Worden State Park in Washington State.
- This was film was initially made for television.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
Death on the Nile (Deluxe Version) (DVD)
$7.17 Super Savings
- 100 Greatest Cult Classics (25-DVD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Too Hot To Handle (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Anna Christie (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s, 30s and 40s - Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Blondes and Redheads: Lost Comedy Classics, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Rediscovered Comedies of Edgar Kennedy, Volume 4 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE