- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 30, 2004
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: Homevision
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Shorts: PETE ROLEUM AND HIS COUSINS (Losey's Directorial Debut, Commissioned For the 1939 World's Fair)
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Liner Notes: by Author and Critic Wheeler Winston Dixon
- Joseph Losey - Director
- Michael Redgrave - Star (Selected)
- Leo McKern - Star (Selected)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 07/28/1995
"...A bracing shot of pure style." -- Rating: B+
USA Today - 07/07/1995
"...Wisconsin-born director Joseph Losey launched a string of still-underrated sleepers with this psychological drama..."
Premiere - 07/01/2004
"Particularly notable is a wonderful scenery-chewing performance by Leo McKern."
In TIME WITHOUT PITY, Joseph Losey delivers yet another multi-layered, atmospheric thriller. The film follows an alcoholic father (Michael Redgrave) who struggles to save his innocent son from the gallows, even as a cruel rival (Leo McKern) continues to keep him on the defensive. This was Losey's first film under his own name after his McCarthy-era blacklisting, and it retains the director's striking blend of drama and social commentary. Photographed by the legendary Freddie Francis (ELEPHANT MAN, THE STRAIGHT STORY).
Family Interaction |
Film Noir |
Theatrical Release |
- This was the first film signed by director Joseph Losey, following his blacklisting in the United States during the McCarthy-era.