- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 16, 2010
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Premiere - 04/01/2006
"Hurt's immersion in his role is absolute."
Description by OLDIES.com:
This is the horrifying true account of John Reginald Christie, whose crimes and subsequent trial summarily ended capital punishment in Britain. After savagely murdering a woman and her newborn baby, Christie was able to convince a jury that the woman's husband was the actual perpetrator. Years later, Christie admitted his guilt and a shocked nation learned an innocent man had been put to death.
London, 1944. John Reginald Christie (Richard Attenborough) is digging in his backyard when he comes across a woman's leg. Unfazed, he covers up the leg and continues to bury the woman he just strangled in his kitchen. Three years later, Timothy Evans (John Hurt), along with his wife, Beryl Evans (Judy Geeson), and their baby, rents an apartment in the same decrepit building--10 RILLINGTON PLACE. The young couple struggles to live on Timothy's minuscule pay while Christie insidiously inserts himself into their lives. He manipulates the pregnant Beryl and the illiterate Timothy until they believe he will perform an abortion on Beryl. However, Christie has other plans...
This chilling account of the notorious Timothy Evans case is the fourth in director Richard Fleischer's series of movies based on real-life murder cases, following THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING, COMPULSION, and THE BOSTON STRANGLER. Fleischer makes potent use of his unnerving, off-kilter camera set-ups in the cramped interiors of 10 RILLINGTON PLACE. Hurt gives a fine performance as the simple Timothy, and Attenborough is riveting as the unctuous and manipulative Christie.
10 RILLINGTON PLACE, based on Ludovic Kennedy's book of the same name, is a semi-documentary account of England's famous Christie-Evans murder case.
Theatrical Release |
- Filmed at Lee International and Shepperton Studios and on location at Rillington Place in Notting Hill, London, England. When the movie was shot Notting Hill was still--as it had been when Christie and Evans lived there--one of London's poorer areas. Since then, much of the area has been renovated, and its reputation has radically changed--particularly since 1999, when the Julia Roberts-Hugh Grant romantic comedy NOTTING HILL was released. Rillington Place has been renamed Rushton Close.
- Richard Attenborough had been acting in movies for 29 years when he appeared in 10 RILLINGTON PLACE. His movie career began in 1942--when he was 19 years old--although his breakthrough performance was not to come until 1947, when he was electrifying as the gang leader in BRIGHTON ROCK. He has appeared in more than 60 movies, with notable appearances in the late 1990s in JURASSIC PARK and ELIZABETH. He started directing movies in 1960, and eventually won an Oscar for his direction of GANDHI. He was knighted in 1976 and became Lord Attenborough in 1994.
- John Hurt, who plays Timothy Evans in 10 RILLINGTON PLACE, has appeared in more than 90 movies, including ALIEN, 1984, and THE ELEPHANT MAN.
- Jazz musician John Dankworth, who composed the musical score for 10 RILLINGTON PLACE, began writing music for feature films in 1960. He composed the music for many outstanding British movies in the 1960s and 1970s, including DARLING for John Schlesinger, SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING for Karel Reisz, and MODESTY BLAISE for Joseph Losey.
- Source writer Ludovic Kennedy acted as technical adviser on the film.
- In 1950, John Reginald Christie was the chief witness at the trial of his neighbor Timothy John Evans. Evans--whose I.Q. was only 70--was convicted and executed. Three years later Christie admitted killing six women. He was also executed. In 1965 Britain abolished the death penalty. In 1966 Timothy Evans was posthumously pardoned.
This product is made-on-demand by the manufacturer using DVD-R recordable media.
Almost all DVD players can play DVD-Rs (except for some older models made before 2000) -
please consult your owner's manual for formats compatible with your player.
These DVD-Rs may not play on all computers or DVD player/recorders.
To address this, the manufacturer recommends viewing this product on a DVD player
that does not have recording capability.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 18,867
- UPC: 043396354906
- Shipping Weight: 0.16/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item