Michael Tilson Thomas Ives: An American Journey
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$0.70 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by C. Ives ~ Charles Ives: Symphony No. 2 / The Gong on the Hook & Ladder, or Firemen's Parade on Main Street /... ~ $17.09
- by C. Ives ~ Ives: Holidays Symphony ~ $7.18
- by C. Ives ~ Ives: Symphonies / Orchestral Sets 1 & 2 ~ $22.24
- by C. Ives ~ Symphony Nos 1 & 4 American Hymns ~ $7.18
- by C. Ives ~ Symphony Nos 2 & 3 (Includes Bernstein ~ $6.28
- Released: February 5, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: RCA
- 1.From The Steeples and The Mountains
- 2.The Things Our Fathers Loved
- 3.The Pond (Remembrance)
- 5.Charlie Rutlage
- 6.The Circus Band
- 7.The "St. Gaudens" In Boston Common
- 8.Putnam's Camp
- 9.The Housatonic At Stockbridge
- 10.In Flanders Fields
- 11.They Are There!
- 12.Tom Sails Away
- 13.Fugue From Symphony No. 4
- 14.Psalm 100
- 16.General William Booth Enters Into Heaven
- 17.The Unanswered Question
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Michael Tilson Thomas is an expert Ivesian. His 1970 recording debut was with Three Places in New England, still available from DG. Here, he redoes the work with the interpolation of a chorus singing the poem on which the last movement, "The Housatonic at Stockbridge," is based--unusual, not as effective as the orchestral version, but fascinating. Tilson Thomas cites Ives's desire for performers to creatively shape his music, and this disc vindicates his editorial liberties by making Ives's surprising music even more unpredictable. The choral contributions are fine, too, but baritone Thomas Hampson steals the show with seven songs that display his empathy with Ives's varied styles and the range of the composer's music, from cowboy songs to touching elegies. The way Hampson bellows a Brooklynese "Coytin" (for "Curtain") at the end of the first song of Memories is worth the price of purchase. Here's a disc to be entertained by, and moved as well. The recording was made at SFS concerts, and we're privileged to share the audience's experience. A must-have for Ivesians and the curious. --Dan Davis
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE