- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 30, 2005
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer (2)
- The Class Of '95
- Creative Writing
- Fashion 101
- Language Arts
- How To Play The "Suck 'N Blow Game - A Tutorial
- We're History
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Paul Rudd &
Julie Brown &
Robert Lawrence &
Director of Photography:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"You know how picky I am about my shoes, and they only go on my feet."
- Cher (ALICIA SILVERSTONE), explaining why she's still a virgin
Premiere - 01/01/1996
"...[Silverstone is] dead-on....A satirical portrait..." - Recommended
Rolling Stone - 08/10/1995
"...Silverstone is a winner. And so is the movie, which also functions as a lunatic update of 'Emma'..."
USA Today - 07/19/1995
"...Alicia Silverstone goes to the head of the comedy class as Cher in the oft-hilarious high-school parody CLUELESS....[She] beams throughout..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
"...A fresh, disarmingly bright and at times explosively funny comedy..."
Los Angeles Times - 07/19/1995
"...Clever and amusing....[The] direction is dead-on as well, with every actor in the extensive cast both understanding and responding admirably to the material..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 07/19/1995
"...CLUELESS is a smart and funny movie, and the characters are in on the joke....It will appeal to anyone who has a sense of humor and an ear for the ironic..."
Sight and Sound - 02/01/2006
"Arguably the CITIZEN KANE of mall-rat movies, Heckerling's savvy transposition of Jane Austen's EMMA to rich-kid California remains a delight."
Entertainment Weekly - 05/04/2012
"Thirteen years after she directed FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, Heckerling still had a jeweler's eye for the tics and traits of teens who hang out at the mall." -- Grade: B+
Wall Street Journal - 03/21/2013
"CLUELESS, a major career move for Mr. Rudd, was a beloved film of the 1990s, and one that still captures a cultural moment with precision and hilarity."
A semi-vacuous, though well-dressed, Beverly Hills High student struggles with life, love and unlimited charge cards in this classic teen comedy from the director of FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH. Based, believe it or not, on Jane Austen's 1816 matchmaking comedy EMMA.
Loosely based on Jane Austen's classic, "Emma," high school teenagers in Beverly Hills (many of whom seem to be named after singers who now do television infomercials) change outfits, have nose jobs and cellular phones, and take care of everybody else's, except their own, social lives.
- Additional footage provided by MTV Networks.
- "Clueless" was inspired by Jane Austen's "Emma."
- Additional credits: Diana Williams (assistant director); Lawrence Karman (camera operator); Chic Gennarelli (costume supervisor); Danny Garde (music editor).
- Extract from "Buns of Steel 3" courtesy of WarnerVision Entertainment.
- Rated BBFC 12 by the British Board of Film Classification.