- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 10, 2004
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: New Line Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Stanley (Tom Arnold), the patriarch of the very aptly named Stupid family, begins investigating who is "stealing" his garbage each week in this colorful slapstick comedy. But he stumbles onto a secret military plan involving selling arms to terrorists--and as a result is targeted for murder. Stanley's bumbling clan sets out to find him, wreaking havoc everywhere they go. As their confusion mounts, their lives become more and more in danger until they dim-wittedly foil their enemies, with sheer dumb luck. The film features cameos by, among others, Jenny McCarthy, Bob "Captain Kangaroo" Keeshan, John Oates, and director David Cronenberg.
Tom Arnold stars as Mr. Stupid, the head of a family of imbeciles who thoroughly lives up to its name. In this funny and cartoonish comedy the Stupids seem to misunderstand everything they come into contact with. When Mr. and Mrs. Stupid suspect someone of "stealing" their garbage, Mr. Stupid sets off to find the vile thief--only to come bumbling into the middle of an underground military weapons operation. In less than 24 hours, Mr. Stupid finds himself the target of military assassins, not to mention a wacky alien threat to his life. Meanwhile, his idiotic family sets out to find their missing leader, with disastrous results. When the family is finally reunited, it is thoroughly convinced there is a bizarre conspiracy against it and sets out to foil its enemies, narrowly escaping an elevator confused for a time machine and a janitor named Lloyd that the family is thoroughly convinced is God in heaven. As it wreaks havoc and confusion throughout the city, the Stupid clan manages to defeat its enemies through sheer dumb luck.
Family Interaction |
- Theatrical release: August 30, 1996.
- The characters in this film were created by James Marshall and Harry Allard in a series of children's books.
- Cameo appearances are made by John Landis's son, Max Landis; Jenny McCarthy; and directors Atom Egoyan, Norman Jewison, and David Cronenberg.
- Director's (Landis's) trademark SYNW: appears on the back of a bus that the Stupid kids chain their bikes to.
- "Hail to thee, O Lord."--Stanley (Tom Arnold)
"Actually it's pronounced Lloyd."--Janitor (Frankie Faison)
"All these years we've been pronouncing it wrong."--Stanley
- "Note to self, I must buy a handheld tape recorder. Then I will no longer be talking into a garage door opener."--Mrs. Stupid (Jessica Lundy)