- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 10, 2002
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Starz / Anchor Bay
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - English
- DTS Surround 5.1 - English
- THX Certified Audio
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary: Kathryn Bigelow - Director
- Featurette: LIVING IN DARKNESS
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Poster Art
- DVD-ROM Features:
- Original Screenplay
- Screen Savers
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 10/04/1996
"...Stylish....Paxton brings rugged gusto and joie de gore to the afterlife..." -- Rating: B
Variety - 09/23/1987
"...NEAR DARK achieves a new look in vampire films. High-powered but pared down, slick but spare, this is something akin to THE BADLANDS of the supernatural..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/09/1987
"...It has force and passion....Bigelow packs the film with intense imagery, haunting shots..."
Sight and Sound - 10/01/2003
"...[With] potent performances....The magic-hour lustre of Adam Greenberg's cinematography and Tangerine Dream's propulsive score are other highlights..."
Ultimate DVD - 03/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "NEAR DARK has a fresh approach for a vampire movie, exploring the point of view from the outsiders looking in..."
A young cowboy is seduced by a new girl in town only to find out he has been kissed by a vampire. Slowly turning into a creature of the night, he is persuaded to join up with the girl and a roaming band of ghouls. But when his own father and sister become targets in the vampires' endless search for 'food,' he is forced to choose between loyalty to the vampires, or loyalty his own family. NEAR DARK is a stylish and brutal mixture of horror, western, and action conventions from director Kathryn Bigelow (STRANGE DAYS) that ranks among the best vampire movies ever made.
Cult Film |
Essential Cinema |
Kidnapping And Missing Persons |
Theatrical Release |
- Produced by Feldman/Meeker Productions.
- Shot on location in Oklahoma; Casa Grande, Arizona; Los Angeles and Coolidge, California, in CFI color, Ultra-Stereo sound.
- Began shooting November 17, 1986; Released in New York City and Los Angeles, California October, 1987.
- Shown at the 1987 Toronto Festival of Festivals.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Director Kathryn Bigelow's second feature film. Her debut film was the 1983 feature "The Loveless." She also directed "Blue Steel," "Point Break," and "Strange Days."