- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 29, 2002
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Put a little heart into it."
- Maximillian (EDDIE MURPHY), to a gangster trying to hurt him, before reaching into the thug's chest and yanking his heart out.
"You changed yourself into Al Sharpton'"
- Julius (KADEEM HARDISON), to Maximillian (EDDIE MURPHY), who has transformed into Preacher Pauley.
Variety - 10/30/1995
"...A good balance between horror and comedy....Murphy proves effective and menacing as the vampire..."
Eddie Murphy is Maximillian, the last of a race of vampires from the Caribbean who travels to New York in search of Rita (Angela Bassett), an NYPD officer whom he considers to be the perfect woman to carry on his dying bloodline. Once he hits Gotham, Maximillian has a series of fish-out-of-water adventures, which include posing as a street preacher, finding a slum apartment that he magically turns elegant, and dropping plenty of one liners. When Maximillian finds Rita, he must compete for her affections with her partner Justice (Allen Payne), which he does with the help of his faithful and decomposing sidekick Julius (Kadeem Hardison). Wes Craven (SCREAM, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET) directed this offbeat mix of comedy, horror, and romance, which could be seen as a genre flipside to Murphy's COMING TO AMERICA.
Maximillian is a debonair black vampire, the last in a line of Caribbean bloodsuckers. He has just arrived in Brooklyn to search for Rita, a beautiful cop who does not realize that she's half-vampire -- and predestined to be Maximillian's bride. Meanwhile, Rita and her handsome partner Justice are investigating Maximillian's bloody murder spree... and falling in love with each other. But when Rita meets the dashing vampire, she finds herself attracted to him as well. Will Rita fulfill her destiny by becoming a vampire and Maximillian's wife' Or will she change the course of fate and find happiness with a mortal instead'
Theatrical Release |
- Released theatrically in the USA October 27, 1995. The film went on to gross $18.7 million at the domestic box office.
- Color by DeLuxe.
- Additional cast: Messiri Freeman (Eva); Kelly Cinnante (Officer); and Ayo Adeyemi (Bartender).
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Copyright 1995 Paramount Pictures.