- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 21, 2002
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital - English, French
- Subtitles - Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 08/21/1985
"...Solidly-crafted....[Bancroft gives a] highly engaging performance....Meg Tilly is angelically beautiful..."
Jane Fonda portrays Dr. Livingston, a psychiatrist who is called in as part of the investigation when a dead infant is found at a convent. The child is found to belong to solemn, naive Sister Agnes (Meg Tilly), who offers little in the information about who the father is or why she committed the crime. The Mother Superior (Anne Bancroft) is willing to help in the investigation anyway she can, but when the idea of a virgin birth is suggested, the agnostic Dr. Livingston finds herself in a heated dialogue pitting faith against science. The screenplay was written by the author of the original stage play, John Pielmeier. Academy Award Nominations: 3, including Best Actress--Anne Bancroft.
An isolated convent becomes the setting for murder in this suspenseful tale of spiritual passion and pride. Jane Fonda, Ann Bancroft and Meg Tilly star in Norman Jewison's riveting adaptation of the hit Broadway drama. When the infant of a young nun, Agnes (Tilly), is found strangled, a court-appointed psychiatrist, Martha Livingston (Fonda), must decide if the devout but troubled girl is fit to stand trial. In her quest for truth, Martha goes head to head with the intractable Mother Superior (Bancroft), who assures her that Agnes has no memory of the pregnancy. But the probe uncovers mysterious aspects of Agnes' personality, which lead to a shattering climax. Is AGNES OF GOD a hystericalyoung woman or is her ordeal divinely inspired'
A psychiatrist comes to examine a seemingly sweet, innocent nun accused of secretly killing her illegitimate baby. But the nun claims to remember nothing at all about a child.
What were the circumstances surrounding the baby' Was there a murder -- or was there a miracle'
Theatrical Release |
- Film was adapted from a stage play that starred only three actresses. It was fleshed out for the screen; for example, the character played by Jane Fonda was given an entire family in the film.
- Shot in Metrocolor in Toronto and Quebec; recorded in Dolby.