- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 1949
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
A nasty love triangle among New York City's upper class leads to murder in this suspenseful drama. Knockout Ava Gardner (SHOWBOAT, MOGAMBO) plays Isabel Warrison, a waitress whose returns to New York City immediately shakes up Jessie Bourne (Barbara Stanwyck) because Jessie knows her husband, Brandon (James Mason), has had an affair with Isabel. Then Jessie discoves that she might have an old flame of her own when Mark Dwyer (Van Heflin) returns home as a war hero and Brandon fails to accompany her to Dwyer's welcome-back party. Even so, Jessie is green with envy and rage when Brandon fails to come home that night. Warrison is pressing Brandon to marry her, but all this soap turns into a whodunit when Warrison is abruptly murdered. Director Mervyn LeRoy handles the transition with dexterity, making the sudden genre switcheroo part of the film's charm.
A gracious society matron desperately wants to save her marriage, but the ex-mistress is back in town and ready to fight for the man she desires in this drama based on the novel by Marcia Davenport.
- EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE was the screen debut for actress Nancy Davis, who would go on to marry Ronald Reagan and become the first lady of the United States.