Modern New Orleans Masters
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
by Trombone Shorty ~ Backatown $9.72
- Released: September 25, 1989
- Label: Rounder Select
- 1.Old Records - Irma Thomas
- 2.Corn for Crip, A - Ed Frank Quintet
- 3.One Way or Another - Walter "Wolfman" Washington
- 4.Coming Home - The Dirty Dozen Brass Band (previously unreleased)
- 5.On the Sunny Side of the Street - Tuts Washington (bonus track)
- 6.Gemini Rising - New Orleans Saxophone Ensemble
- 7.I'll Only Miss Her When I Think of Her - Johnny Adams / Alvin "Red" Tyler
- 8.I Needed Somebody - Irma Thomas
- 9.Indian Red - Golden Eagles / Monk Boudreaux
- 10.Count 'Em - Alvin "Red" Tyler
- 11.Not Trustworthy (A Lyin' Woman) - Johnny Adams
- 12.Upside Down Crescent - Earl Turbinton / Willie Tee
- 13.From the Heart - Johnny Adams (bonus track)
- 14.Foggy Day, A - Germaine Bazzle
- 15.Amen - James Booker (previously unreleased)
Personnel: Walter "Wolfman" Washington (vocals, guitar); James Booker (vocals, piano); Norwood Johnson (vocals, bass drum); Larry Boudreaux, Henry Singleton (vocals, congas); Lawrence Adams (vocals, cowbells); Johnny "Quarter Moon" Tobias, Kenneth "Skeeter" Bruce, Monk Boudreaux (vocals, tambourine); Germaine Bazzle, Irma Thomas, Johnny Adams (vocals); Duke Robillard, Guillermo Ladut, Elijah Rodgers, Renard Poch‚, Steve Masakowski (guitar); Scott Billington (harmonica); Earl Turbinton (soprano saxophone); Bill "Foots" Samuel (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Joe Saulsbury, Jr., Fred Kemp, Kevin Harris, Alvin "Red" Tyler, Tony Dagradi (tenor saxophone); Roger Lewis (baritone saxophone); Terry Tullos (trumpet, flugelhorn, French horn); Efrem Towns, Lawrence Weber, Wendell Brunious, Gregory Davis (trumpet); Clyde Kerr (flugelhorn); Charles Joseph (trombone); Ernie Gautreau (valve trombone); Kirk Joseph (sousaphone); David Torkanowsky (piano, keyboards); Ed Frank, Emile Vinette, Tuts Washington (piano); Glenn Carvin, Craig Wroten (keyboards); George French (electric bass); Van Odom, Joseph "Smokey" Johnson, James Black , Johnny Vidacovich, Wilbert "Junkyard Dog" Arnold, Herman V. Ernest III (drums); Lionel Batiste (bass drum); Jenell Marshall (snare drum); Sharon Foster, Elaine Foster, Lisa Foster (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: David Farrell ; Glenn Berger; Gregg Lunsford; Rob Jaczko; Scott Billington.
Liner Note Author: Scott Billington.
Recording information: Composers Recording Studio, New Orleans, LA (10/??/1982-08/18/1987); Mountain Studios, Montreaux, Switzerland (10/??/1982-08/18/1987); Southlake Recording Studio, Metairie, LA (10/??/1982-08/18/1987); Studio Solo, Slidell, LA (10/??/1982-08/18/1987); Ultrasonic Studio, New Orleans, LAH&R Bar, New Orleans, (10/??/1982-08/18/1987).
Illustrator: Louise Mouton.
This is an excellent budget compilation from Rounder, featuring modern New Orleans blues, soul, jazz, and funk. Even though some of the artists represented here have recorded for other labels over the years, Rounder has consistently championed excellent sessions from these key players in the Crescent City. Irma Thomas, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Johnny Adams, and Walter "Wolfman" Washington are all represented. An unreleased soulful outtake of "Amen" from James Booker's Classified sessions is the bonus ingredient in this enjoyable musical stew. ~ Al Campbell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!