The Chantels For Collectors Only (2-CD)
|You Save:||$8.99 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Chantels were formed in high school, and the all-girl group took their name from that of a rival school. The group was soon the first nationally successful female R&B groups and scored many times on the Pop and R&B charts. Along with their greatest hits, this 2-disc set features many alternate takes and previously unreleased performances for a total of 40 great sounding tracks. Includes "Maybe" and "Look In My Eyes"
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.If You Try (Alternate Take)
- 4.So Real (Previously Unreleased)
- 6.I Can't Take It (There's Our Song Again)
- 7.Look In My Eyes
- 8.Every Night (Alternate Take)
- 9.I'm Confessing
- 10.Whoever You Are
- 11.Goodbye To Love (Alternate Take)
- 12.He's Gone
- 13.Every Night
- 14.Sure Of Love
- 16.I'm The Girl (Alternate Take)
- 17.I'll Walk Alone
- 18.Memories Of You (Alternate Take)
- 19.Come My Little Baby
- 20.I Love You So
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.How Could You Call It Off (Alternate Take)
- 2.My Darling
- 3.Prayee (Alternate Take)
- 4.If You Try
- 5.Goodybye To Love
- 6.Never Let Go
- 7.To Live My Life Again (Featuring Arlene Smith)
- 8.C'est Si Bon
- 10.How Could You Call It Off
- 11.Mon Cherie Au Revoir (Featuring Arlene Smith)
- 12.Two Loving Hearts
- 13.I've Lied (Featuring Willie & Arlene)
- 14.All Is Forgiven (Featuring Richard Barrett)
- 15.Is It Because (Featuring Ronnie Baxter)
- 16.Summer's Love (Featuring Richard Barrett)
- 17.Come Softly To Me (Featuring Richard Barrett)
- 18.Maybe (Alternate Take)
- 19.Peruvian Wedding Song (Previously Unreleased)
- 20.I've Lied (With Tunemasters, Alternate Take)
The Chantels include: Arlene Smith, Sonia Goring, Rene Minus, Jackie Landry, Lois Harris (vocals).
Includes liner notes by Philip Groia.
Liner Note Author: Phil Groia.
Unknown Contributor Role: The Chantels.
For a group that only had one really big hit--the epochal doo-wop ballad "Maybe"--the Chantels were nonetheless a pretty influential outfit. They inspired countless girl groups in their wake, notably the Shirelles, and also featured a few production tricks later appropriated by Phil Spector for his famed Wall Of Sound.
This set collects all of the group's best known songs, including the sublime "Maybe" follow-up "Payee," and adds various alternate takes and unreleased tracks, including a few where the group backs its great producer Richard Barrett, notably on a lovely cover of the Fleetwoods' "Come Softly to Me." Most intriguing track: an alternate version of "Maybe," featuring studio chatter and a truly bizarre organ part wisely eliminated from the final arrangement.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,442
- UPC: 090431880227
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD)(2)
$12.35 Super Savings
Oldies: Doowop Music Categories:
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Jewel Akens Very Best of Jewel Akens (CD) ~ $7.49 on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures Doo Wop Memories (Just For You), Acappella Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts / The Capris Lee Andrews & The Hearts Meet The Capris (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE