- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 18, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Eagle Rock Ent
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- DTS Surround 5.1 - English
- Jim Kweskin & the Jug Band with Mel Lyman - "Hannah"
- Peter, Paul and Mary - "If I Had a Hammer"
- Sacred Harp Singers - "Rocky Road"
- Georgia Island Sea Singers - Traditional Spiritual
- Blue Ridge Mountain Dancers - Clog Dance
- Tex Logan and the Lily Brothers - "Black Mountain Rag"
- Pete Seeger - "Green Corn"
- Buffy Sainte-Marie - "Codeine...and it's Real"
- Pete Seeger - "Deep Blue Sea"
- Odetta - "Lordy, Lordy"
- Joan Baez and Pete Yarrow - "Go Tell Aunt Rhody"
- Joan Baez - "Mary Hamilton"
- Bob Dylan - "All I Really Want to Do"
- Joan Baez - "All Our Trials"
- Peter, Paul and Mary - "Blowin' in the Wind"
- Donovan - "And the War Drags on"
- Judy Collins - "Turn, Turn, Turn"
- Donovan - "Viet Nam, Your Latest Game"
- Odetta - "Just Can't Keep from Cryin'"
- Peter, Paul and Mary - "Times They are a Changin'"
- Fred McDowell - "Highway 61"
- Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry - "Keys to the Highway"
- Mississippi John Hurt - "Candy Man"
- Bob Dylan - "Maggie's Farm"
- Ed Young Fife and Drum Corps - Instrumental
- Swan Silvertones - "Freed Me, Jesus"
- Staple Singers - "Help Me, Jesus"
- Freedom Singers - "Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn me Round"
- Fannie Lou Hamer - "Go Tell it on the Mountain"
- Freedom Group Finale with Odetta - "We Shall Overcome"
- Paul Butterfield Blues Band - "I Was Born in Chicago"
- Son House - "Son House Blues"
- Howling Wolf - "You Hear Me Howling Early in the Morning"
- Mimi and Dick Farina - "Pack up Your Sorrows"
- Spokes Mashiyane - Flute Instrumental
- Cousin Emmy - "Cheek Slapping"
- Theodore Bikel - "Russian Song"
- Judy Collins - "Anathea"
- Johnny Cash - "I Walk the Line"
- Osborne Bros. - "Ruby"
- Joan Baez - "Farewell Angelina"
- Bob Dylan - "Mr. Tambourine Man"
- Peter, Paul and Mary - "Rising of the Moon"
- Group Finale with Baez, Odetta and Seeger - "Down by the Riverside"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 11/17/2005
3 stars out of 5 -- "Murray Lerner's cinematic synthesis of four Newport Folk Festivals captures that singularly bizarre era..."
Mojo - 12/01/2005
"The crowd scenes and interviews inserted throughout subtly document the fermenting counterculture of the mid-'60s, almost amounting to a dry run for Woodstock..."
Long before it became inextricably linked with Bob Dylan's infamous "electric" performance, the Newport Folk Festival was the premier event of the burgeoning 1960s music scene. The brainchild of Newport Jazz Festival founder, George Wein, and his business partner, Albert Grossman (who later went on to manage Dylan), Newport introduced the world to a then-unknown folk singer named Joan Baez and nurtured the talents of more established artists such as Donovan, Pete Seeger, Johnny Cash, Judy Collins, and Peter, Paul and Mary. Veteran music director Murray Lerner (MESSAGE TO LOVE: THE ISLE OF WIGHT FESTIVAL) presents a collection of archival footage from four of Newport's '60s-era festivals featuring these and many other legendary musicians for a vital historical document of an American cultural institution.
Clips And Highlights |
Concert Footage |
Folk Music |
Folk Music |
Folk Songs / Music |
Live Performances |
Music (General) |
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 26 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 29,774
- UPC: 801213910199
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item