James Taylor Penthouse Suite (Live)
- Released: January 19, 2000
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Pony Canyon Japan
- 1.Blow Up - (studio)
- 2.Starting Too Slow - (studio)
- 3.Love the Life - (studio)
- 4.It's Your World - (studio)
- 5.Green Onions - (studio)
- 6.Black Gun - (studio)
- 7.Fourth Dimension - (studio)
- 8.Mrs Robinson - (studio)
- 9.I Hope I Pray - (studio)
- 10.Summer Fantasy - (studio)
- 11.Selectivety - (studio)
- 12.In the Hand of the Inevit - (studio)
- 13.Haitian Breakdown - (studio)
- 14.Creation - (studio)
- 15.Europa (Bonus) - (studio)
- 16.Whole Lotta Love / Bonus - (studio)
James Taylor Quartet: James Taylor, Gary Crockett, David Taylor, Neil Robinson, John Willmott, Dominic Glover.
Additional personnel: Noel McCoy (vocals); Snowboy (percussion); Cornell McCoy (background vocals).
Recorded live, Rome, Italy. Includes liner notes by Ed Piller.
This album from the James Taylor Quartet features 13 tracks, including "Starting Too Slow," "It's Your World," and "Summer Fantasy."
Japanese edition includes three bonus tracks.
Hammond-driven British acid jazz pioneer James Taylor knows how to funk out. His Quartet's first album since 1996's critically acclaimed recording, Creation, shows that after more than a decade of aggressive music-making the band is still not over the hill. Using the B-3 organ as a weapon, this album feels like one long car-chase movie with a few sexy spies thrown in for good measure. While it is probably not as catchy as Creation, Penthouse Suite still manages to be charming, especially on the tracks that feature vocalist Neal McCoy, who seems to be channelling James Brown (surreally paired with flute on "Love the Life") and cranks the energy level up even one more notch. ~ Stacia Proefrock
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!