Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 21, 2010
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: Criterion
- Note: Restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Audio commentary featuring director Stanley Donen and screenwriter Peter Stone
- Original theatrical trailer
- Plus: A booklet featuring an essay by film historian Bruce Eder
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"It is infuriating that your unhappiness does not turn to fat."
- Sylvie Gaudel (Dominique Minot) to Reggie Lampert Vass (Audrey Hepburn)
"I don't bite, you know, unless it's called for."
- Reggie to Peter Joshua (Cary Grant)
"Do women think it feminine to be so illogical, or can't they help it'"
Entertainment Weekly - 10/09/1998
"...The best Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made: posh, witty, with [Grant] skating deliciously on the edge of absurdity..." -- Rating: A-
Entertainment Weekly - 04/16/2004
"It's sophisticated, tasty, and a bit bizarre....The thrills are consistent..."
Uncut - 07/01/2005
"[E]njoy Peter Stone's witty, suspenseful script and the zippy Grant/Hepburn banter."
Lovely Reggie (Audrey Hepburn) is determined to divorce her wealthy, cold, and closed-mouthed husband, but someone throws him from a train before she gets the chance. Left penniless in Paris with police suspicion resting heavily upon her, Reggie soon realizes she's in serious trouble--her husband stole money from three unscrupulous men, and they want the money back. Charming and amusing Cary Grant, recalling his screwball comedy days while still remaining manly, comes to Reggie's aid. But he too has secrets and hidden loyalties. With the bodies piling up and the money nowhere to be found, Grant and Hepburn dash through Paris toward the startling solution.
Agatha Christie-like in its unexpected twists and colorful characters and shimmering with fun and passion, CHARADE is a suspense gem that deserves to be much better known than it is. The supporting cast, led by Walter Matthau, James Coburn, and George Kennedy, is terrific, the interaction between Hepburn and Grant is an absolute joy, and Stanley Donen's playful direction all combine to make this film a small classic.
In this marvelous thriller starring Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant, Hepburn returns to Paris from vacation to discover her husband murdered. Three men who attend the funeral begin stalking Hepburn, demanding to know the whereabouts of $250,000 stolen by her husband and the menacing trio years before. Protected only by a U.S. embassy man and the suave Grant, Hepburn must find the money before she is killed too. But can she really trust Grant, whose story and name change every day' Filled with twists and delectable chemistry between Grant and Hepburn, CHARADE delivers both passion and suspense as well as a sly sense of humor.
- Based on the story "The Unsuspecting Wife" by Marc Behm and Peter Stone. Marc Behm's EYE OF THE BEHOLDER was made into a film in 1999.