B. Britten Britten Conducts Britten: Operas, Volume 1 - Albert Herring / Billy Budd / Owen Wingrave / Peter Grimes
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$45.18 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$12.28 (21% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 8
- Released: October 12, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Decca
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Act 1. Scene 1. Flor - ence!... tell the midwife!
- 2.Act 1. Scene 1. Doctor Jessop's midwife... mustn't touch illegitimates
- 3.Act 1. Scene 1. I hope we're not too early, Florence?
- 4.Act 1. Scene 1. Stuffy! Tobacco stink!
- 5.Act 1. Scene 1. Now then! Notebook, Florence!
- 6.Act 1. Scene 1. The first suggestion on my list is a charming local girl
- 7.Act 1. Scene 1. Is this all you can bring? Each single name reeking impurities
- 8.Act 1. Scene 1. Beggin' your pardon
- 9.Act 1. Scene 1. Herring! Right! We'll have him! May King!
- 10.Act 1. Interlude
- 11.Act 1. Scene 2. Bounce me high, bounce me low, bounce me up to Jericho!
- 12.Act 1. Scene 2. Shop! Hi! Albert!
- 13.Act 1. Scene 2. Tickling a trout, poaching a hare, fighting wild geese is pretty good sport
- 14.Act 1. Scene 2. Meet me at a quarter past eight
- 15.Act 1. Scene 2. He's much too busy even to listen much less to care with Nancy there
- 16.Act 1. Scene 2. Good morning, young man
- 17.Act 1. Scene 2. We bring great news to you
- 18.Act 2. Scene 1. Isn't he here?
- 19.Act 2. Scene 1. For three precious weeks we've been toiling, scraping
- 20.Act 2. Scene 1. Quickly, quickly, come along!
- 21.Act 2. Scene 1. Here they are, dears!
- 22.Act 2. Scene 1. My flowers are few
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Act 2. Scene 1. I'm full of happiness to be here in your midst on such a day as this
- 2.Act 2. Scene 1. As representing the local Council
- 3.Act 2. Scene 1. My heart leaps up with joy to see virtue and simplicity
- 4.Act 2. Scene 1. Er - humph! Er - humph! I'm no great shakes as a speechifier
- 5.Act 2. Scene 1. Well tried, Albert!
- 6.Act 2. Interlude
- 7.Act 2. Scene 2. Albert the Good! Long may he reign
- 8.Act 2. Scene 2. You oughtn't to whistle! I told you that, Sid!
- 9.Act 2. Scene 2. Heaven helps those who help themselves!
- 10.Act 3. Introduction
- 11.Act 3. Is she asleep?
- 12.Act 3. I'm hungry, I'm tired, I'm sick of the sound of Albert!
- 13.Act 3. Give me a decent murder with a corpse!
- 14.Act 3. Have you found him?
- 15.Act 3. Fools! Fools! Blundering fools!
- 16.Act 3. In the midst of life is death
- 17.Act 3. I'm sorry about that
- 18.Act 3. I can't remember everything
- 19.Act 3. Albert's come back to stay
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Act 1. Prelude
- 2.Act 1. Scene 1. You've got your maps there?
- 3.Act 1. Scene 2. At last it's out
- 4.Act 1. Scene 3. Your sherry, Mrs Coyle
- 5.Act 1. Scene 4. Oh, how unforeseen
- 6.Act 1. Scene 5. Sirrah! How dare you!
- 7.Act 1. Scene 6. Coyle, I wish I had not come
- 8.Act 1. Scene 7. May God bless the Queen, and this house
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.Act 2. Prologue / Scene 1. There was a boy, a Wingrave born... Trumpeet blow, trumpet blow
- 2.Act 2. Scene 1. I envy you this fine old house
- 3.Act 2. Scene 1. "Paramore shall welcome woe!"
- 4.Act 2. Scene 1. "and with his friend young Lechmere played..."
- 5.Act 2. Scene 1. Now you may save your scornful looks
- 6.Act 2. Scene 1. Ah, Owen, what shall I do?
- 7.Act 2. Scene 2. Is that you, Coyle?
- 8.Act 2. Scene 2. Come in - It's me, Lechmere... Ah, Owen, Owen you've gone!
- 9.Prologue. I am an old man who has experienced much
- 10.Act 1. Scene 1. Pull, my bantams! Pull, my sparrow - legs!... Who did that?
- 11.Act 1. Scene 1. Guard boat! Indomitable!
- 12.Act 1. Scene 1. First man forward!
- 13.Act 1. Scene 1. Your name? - Billy Budd, sir
- 14.Act 1. Scene 1. Billy Budd, king of the birds!
Tracks on Disc 5:
- 1.Act 1. Scene 1. I heard, your honour!
- 2.Act 1. Scene 1. Come along kid! Come along!
- 3.Act 1. Scene 1. Christ! the poor chap, the poor little runt!
- 4.Act 1. Scene 1. What's that? What's those whistles?
- 5.Act 1. Scene 1. Starry Vere we call him
- 6.Act 1. Scene 2. Boy! - Yes, sir!
- 7.Act 1. Scene 2. Gentlemen, the King!
- 8.Act 1. Scene 2. Ay, at Spithead the men may have had their grievances
- 9.Act 1. Scene 2. We are, sir. Claggart is an able one... Land on the port bow, sir
- 10.Act 1. Scene 3. Blow her away. Blow her to Hilo
- 11.Act 1. Scene 3. We're off to Samoa
- 12.Act 1. Scene 3. Hi! You... a... a...
- 13.Act 1. Scene 3. Over the water, over the ocean
- 14.Act 1. Scene 3. Come here. Remember your promise
- 15.Act 1. Scene 3. Billy!... Hist! Billy Budd!
- 16.Act 1. Scene 3. Dansker, old friend, glad to see you!
Tracks on Disc 6:
- 1.Act 2. Scene 1. I don't like the look of the mist
- 2.Act 2. Scene 1. With great regret I must disturb your honour
- 3.Act 2. Scene 1. Deck ahoy! Enemy sail on starboard bow!
- 4.Act 2. Scene 1. Who''ll volunteer to board 'em in the smoke?
- 5.Act 2. Scene 1. There you are again, Master - at - arms
- 6.Act 2. Scene 1. O this cursA"d mist!
- 7.Act 2. Scene 2. Claggart, John Claggart, beware! I'm not so easily deceived
- 8.Act 2. Scene 2. Master - at - arms and foretopman, I speak to you both
- 9.Act 2. Scene 2. God o' mercy!
- 10.Act 2. Scene 2. Gentlemen, William Budd here has killed the Master - at - arms
- 11.Act 2. Scene 2. William Budd, you are accused by Captain Vere of striking your superior officer, Jo
- 12.Act 2. Scene 2. Poor fellow, who could save him?
- 13.Act 2. Scene 2. I accept their verdict
- 14.Act 2. Scene 3. Look! Through the port comes the moon - shine astray!
- 15.Act 2. Scene 3. Here! Baby!
- 16.Act 2. Scene 3. and farewell to ye, old Rights o Man!
- 17.Act 2. Interlude
- 18.Act 2. Scene 4. "According to the Articles of War..."
- 19.Act 2. Scene 4. Down all hands! and see that they go!
- 20.Act 2. Epilogue. We committed his body to the deep
Tracks on Disc 7:
- 1.Prologue. Peter Grimes! Peter Grimes!
- 2.Prologue. You sailed your boat round the coast
- 3.Prologue. Peter Grimes, I here advise you!
- 4.Prologue. The truth... the pity... and the truth
- 5.Interlude 1. On the beach (Dawn)
- 6.Act 1. Scene 1. Oh! hang at open doors the net, the cork... Come in, gentlemen, come in!
- 7.Act 1. Scene 1. Hi! Give us a hand! Haul the boat!... Grimes, you won't need help from now
- 8.Act 1. Scene 1. I have to go from pub to pub, picking up parcels, standing about
- 9.Act 1. Scene 1. Let her among you without fault cast the first stone
- 10.Act 1. Scene 1. Look, the storm cone!
- 11.Act 1. Scene 1. and do you prefer the storm to Auntie's parlour and the rum?
- 12.Act 1. Scene 1. What harbour shelters peace, away from tidal waves
- 13.Act 1. Interlude 2. The Storm
- 14.Act 1. Scene 2. Past time to close!
- 15.Act 1. Scene 2. We live and let live, and look we keep our hands to ourselves
- 16.Act 1. Scene 2. Have you heard? The cliff is down up by Grimes's hut
- 17.Act 1. Scene 2. Now the Great Bear and Pleiades
- 18.Act 1. Scene 2. Old Joe has gone fishing
- 19.Act 1. Scene 2. The bridge is down, we half swam over
- 20.Act 2. Interlude 3. Sunday morning by the beach
- 21.Act 2. Scene 1. Glitter of waves and glitter of sunlight
- 22.Act 2. Scene 1. Let this be a holiday, full of peace and quietness
- 23.Act 2. Scene 1. This unrelenting work, this grey unresting industry, what aim
- 24.Act 2. Scene 1. Fool to let it come to this!
- 25.Act 2. Scene 1. What is it? - What do you suppose? Grimes is at his exercise
- 26.Act 2. Scene 1. People!... No! I will speak!... This thing concerns you all
Tracks on Disc 8:
- 1.Act 2. Scene 1. We planned that their lives should have a new start
- 2.Act 2. Scene 1. Swallow! Shall we go and see Grimes in his hut?
- 3.Act 2. Scene 1. Now is gossip put on trial
- 4.Act 2. Scene 1. From the gutter, why should we trouble at their ribaldries?
- 5.Act 2. Interlude 4 (Passacaglia)
- 6.Act 2. Scene 2. Go there! Here's your sea boots!
- 7.Act 2. Scene 2. Now!... Now!... - There's an odd procession here
- 8.Act 2. Scene 2. Peter Grimes! Nobody here?
- 9.Act 3. Interlude 5. Evening
- 10.Act 3. Scene 1. Assign your prettiness to me
- 11.Act 3. Scene 1. Pah! - Ahoy!
- 12.Act 3. Scene 1. Come along, Doctor! We're not wanted here, we oldsters... Is the boat in?
- 13.Act 3. Scene 1. Embroidery in childhood was a luxury of idleness
- 14.Act 3. Scene 1. Mr Swallow! Mr Swallow!
- 15.Act 3. Scene 1. Who holds himself apart, lets his pride rise
- 16.Act 3. Interlude 6. Fog
- 17.Act 3. Scene 2. Grimes! Grimes!
- 18.Act 3. Scene 2. Peter, we've come to take you home
- 19.Act 3. Scene 2. To those who pass the Borough
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
There have been other recordings of Peter Grimes; Billy Budd , and Albert Herring in recent years, but none has matched these. That's no surprise, as no conductor could have as many insights into these operas as the composer himself. Features the great Peter Pears as Peter Grimes!
Britten: Cello Symphony, op. 68; Sinfonia da Requiem, op.... (CD)(2)
$10.34 Super Savings
Cello Suites 1 & 2 / Sonatas for Cello & Piano (CD)(4)
$14.81 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE