Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: September 7, 2010
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Deleted Scenes and Lost Footage
- 2 Follow-Up Vehicles Starring Robby the Robot: Feature Film The Invisible Boy
- The Thin Man TV Series Episode Robot Client
- TCM Original Documentary Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us
- 2 Featurettes: Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet
- Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon
- Excerpts from The MGM Parade TV Series
- Theatrical Trailers of Forbidden Planet and The Invisible Boy
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Leslie Nielsen &
George D. Wallace,
Harry Harvey, Jr.,
Bob Dix &
Robby the Robot
Fred M. Wilcox
George Folsey, Jr. &
Bebe Barron &
Director of Photography:
George J. Folsey
Entertainment Weekly - 09/16/1994
"...Sci-fi classic....[Nielsen does] a man's-gotta-do-what-a-man's-gotta-do..." -- Rating: A-
USA Today - 08/01/1997
"Filmed in CinemaScope and color and given a lofty sci-fi budget for its day....[A] perennially popular outer space variation on Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST..."
Premiere - 12/01/2006
"[A]n irresistible blend of the sublime and the silly....[With] magnificent galazy scapes...[and[ colorful futuristic interiors..."
Ultimate DVD - 08/01/2007
5 stars out of 5 -- "FORBIDDEN PLANET is a feast for the eyes....This definitive Science Fiction movie has really never looked better..."
Empire - 08/01/2008
"Over 50 years on, FORBIDDEN PLANET still looks like the future....An oddity that would change the face of science-fiction on film."
Total Film - 11/01/2010
4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] sci-fi landmark....[With] ambitious FX and an innovative electro-score..."
Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST is transformed in this landmark science-fiction film. Spacemen travel to a planet ruled by Dr. Edward Morbius (Walter Pidgeon), who has built a kingdom with his daughter and obedient robot Robby. The good doctor is plagued by his mad quest for knowledge through his "brain booster" machine, and by Freudian "monsters from the id" as his daughter discovers other men and learns to kiss.
Essential Cinema |
Family (General) |
Robots / Cyborgs |
- Color by Eastmancolor. Shot in CinemaScope.
- "Electronic tonalities" by Louis and Bebe Barron.
- Joshua Meador, who worked on the special effects team, was loaned to MGM by Walt Disney Productions.
- The story is loosely based on Shakespeare's classic play "The Tempest."
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Censors.