Endangered Species [Remixed]
- Released: February 18, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Eighteenth Street
- 1.Endangered Species - (Raeo Remix, RAEQ remix)
- 2.Mi Swing Es Tropical - (Zeb Remix, Zeb remix)
- 3.Peace Pipe - (DJ Enredo Remix, DJ Enredo remix, featuring Jean Shepherd)
- 4.Cleopatra in New York - (Karuan '07 Remix, Karuan 07 remix, featuring Carol C.)
- 5.Funky in the Middle - (Haaksman & Haaksman Remix, Haaksman & Haaksman remix, featuring Jay Rodriguez)
- 6.Give the Drummer Some - (Fort Knox Five Remix, Fort Knox Five remix, featuring The Real Live Show / Nappy G)
- 7.Back from Africa - (DeRek Sessions Remix, Derek Sessions remix)
- 8.Gibraltar - (Sabo & Zeb Remix, Sabo & Zeb remix)
- 9.Crazy Stranger - (Thievery Corporation Remix, Thievery Corporation remix, featuring Har'el Shachal)
- 10.Mystery of Life - (Zeb Remix, Zeb remix)
- 11.Spirits Within, The - (Boozoo Bajou Remix, Boozoo Bajou remix, featuring Apani B)
- 12.Global Village, The - (Tarantala Bite Remix, Tarantala BIte remix, take, featuring Polo)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Nickodemus (vocals, bass guitar); Jean Shepherd (vocals, cuatro); Andrea Monteiro, Ian Lawrence, Malik Burke (vocals); Mitch Stein, Marcelino Galan (guitar); Jay Rodriguez (flute, saxophone, baritone saxophone); Jay Collins (bansuri); Har'el Shachal (melodica, clarinet, saxophone); Victor Axelrod (melodica); Ethan White (Wurlitzer piano); Jonathan Maron (bass instrument); Gordon Clay (djembe, shaker, timbales).
In a dance music world in which most DJs happily slot themselves into a prefabricated niche and stay there, rarely challenging their fans' ears and expectations, New York-based Nickodemus is something of an anomaly. He grew up on hip-hop, Latin music, and Motown R&B, and when he hit the decks himself he quickly brought in elements of blues, funk, and Afro-beat as well. His very fine debut album finds him exploring all of his various influences and paying tribute to the sounds and artists that continue to inspire him in his native city. From the Latin bop of "Mi Swing Es Tropical" and the complex horn-heavy funk of "Funky in the Middle" to the Brazilian house excursion "Bailamos en el Junque" and the hard-yet-sweet female rap of "The Spirits Within," Nickodemus shows off an admirable breadth of taste here, and even if "Give the Drummer Some" offers a throwaway meta-rap lyric and "Mystery of Life" is only a so-so song, every track has more than enough sonic depth to reward close listening. Notice, in particular, the klezmer horns on "Crazy Stranger" and the utterly gorgeous highlife guitar on "Back from Africa." Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!