Steve Reich Variations, Six Pianos Etc.
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Steve Reich ~ Music for 18 Musicians ~ $16.55
- by Kronos Quartet ~ Reich: Different Trains, Electric Counterpoint / Pat Metheny ~ $16.14
- by Kronos Quartet ~ Steve Reich: Octet / Music for a Large Ensemble / Violin Phase ~ $16.55
- Released: August 5, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Deutsche Grammophon
- 1.Variations for Winds, Strings, and Keyboards - San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Edo de Waart
- 2.Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ - Russ Hartenberger, Bob Becker, Tim Ferchen, Steve Reich, Glen Velez, Ben Harms, James Preiss, Janice Jarrett, Joan LaBarbara, Jay Clayton, Steve Chambers
- 3.Six Pianos - Steve Chambers, James Preiss, Russ Hartenberger, Bob Becker, Steve Reich, Glen Velez
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Steve Reich (piano, marimba); Joan La Barbara, Janice Jarrett, Jay Clayton (vocals); Steve Chambers (piano, organ); Bob Becker , Russ Hartenberger (piano, marimba); Glen Velez (piano, glockenspiel); James Preiss (piano, metallophone); Timothy Ferchen (marimba); Ben Harms (glockenspiel).
Liner Note Authors: Paul Griffiths ; Steve Reich.
Recording information: Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco, CA (01/1974-10/1983); Musikstuidio I, Hamburg, Germany (01/1974-10/1983).
This is a mid-priced reissue of several recordings of Steve Reich compositions originally released in the 1970s and 1980s. Its centerpiece is a 1984 recording of "Variations for Winds, Strings and Keyboards," performed by the San Francisco Symphony under the direction of Edo de Waart; the other two compositions, "Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ" and "Six Pianos," are presented here in 1974 recordings made by Reich himself with his own ensemble. This reissue is welcome for a number of reasons, not least among them the fact that it brings together three of Reich's most winning and accessible compositions at mid-range price. It also fills a gap left by Works: 1965-1995's fine ten-disc retrospective, which included a different arrangement of "Six Pianos" and did not include the "Variations" at all. The digital remastering for this reissue was very nicely done, and the warmth of the original analog recordings remains; the performances, too, are impeccable, and those by Reich and his own group are especially impressive. Newcomers to Reich's particular brand of process-generated music (he has always eschewed the term "minimalism") will probably find the "Variations" to be the most easily accessible and "Six Pianos" to be the most challenging, but everything on this program is exceptionally lovely. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE