- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 7, 2010
- Originally Released: 1964
- Label: Sofa Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Approximately 13 Minutes of Rare Moments from "The Ed Sullivan Show" including a brief interview Ed Sullivan conducted with The Beatles in London in 1964 for the release of "A Hard Day's Night"
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
The Beatles' appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 and 1965 helped catapult the band to stateside fame and fortune. Their debut performance alone was viewed by 73 million viewers. This collection compiles four full episodes containing 20 songs in total, and including other guests like Soupy Sales, Cab Calloway, and Cilla Black; and even commercial breaks. Shown in their original black and white, these episodes convey the feeling of a bygone era, while placing some of The Beatles' early appearances in a framework that shows how they eventually exploded as one of the most influential rock bands of all time.
The four Beatles, with their fluffy mop-head haircuts and little black suits, look like fresh-faced kids as they stride nervously onto the stage in their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, February 9, 1964. Met by screaming, lovestruck fans--mostly teenage girls dressed in clean-cut sweaters with their hair curled and combed--The Beatles launch into a trio of carefully played songs including "All My Loving," "Till There Was You," and "She Loves You." The next two weeks, on February 16 and February 23, 1964, they reappear on the Ed Sullivan Show, each time to the same unabashed hero worship, performing hits like "Twist and Shout" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand." The last episode on this fascinating collection, September 12, 1965, shows how the band has changed after a year and a half--with longer hair, a loose and rebellious spirit, and a bolder stage presence. Through these classic television episodes, viewers of all eras can join the fab four as they begin their ascent into the musical history books, courtesy of the Ed Sullivan Show.
Live Performances |
Music Video |
Rock And Roll |
Rock Legends |
- VH1 placed The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (the first episode on this compilation) on its list of "The 100 Moments That Rocked TV by VH1."
- On average, the Ed Sullivan Show drew a viewing audience of over 50 million Americans every Sunday night on CBS.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 65 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
ed sullivan starring the beatles
Movie Lover: BRUCE FURGASON
FREDERICKSBURG, VA US
-- May, 17, 2012
great for beatle fans. like a trip back in time for me!!
- Sales Rank: 14,499
- UPC: 602527434629
- Shipping Weight: 0.22/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items