- Released: September 7, 1999
- Label: Om Records
Alternative Press - 3/00, p.683 out of 5
- "...Farina has both an ear for a good tune and an eye for dancefloor momentum, and he keeps at both equally as well throughout this CD."
- 1.Got the Bug - (with Bougie Soliterre)
- 2.Happiness - (with Rob Mello)
- 3.I Wanna See You Come Down - (with DJ Rork)
- 4.Things We Used to Do - (with MN2S)
- 5.Black Keys - (with Ricky Bradshaw)
- 6.Spring Fling - (with Rick Preston)
- 7.Jammin' - (with Stacy Kidd)
- 8.Spellbound - (with Rae & Christian)
- 9.Sunny Cove - (with Miguel)
- 10.Somethin' Else - (with 2nd Shift)
- 11.Seriousfunkilla - (with Busta Funk)
- 12.Jai's Groove - (with Sirus)
- 13.Bushes - (with Markus Nikolai)
- 14.Nublado - (with Jerome Van Rossum)
This is a continuous in-the-mix CD compiled and mixed by DJ Mark Farina.
Personnel: Frank Opoku (vocals); Kaidi Tatham (flute, keyboards, percussion); Fabio Morgera (horns); James Preston (keyboards, percussion); Will Bates (keyboards).
Audio Mixers: Mark Camp; Mark Preston; Sirus; Bustafunk.
Audio Remixers: DJ Disciple; Adam Scott ; Matthias Heilbronn; Vicki Bell.
Photographer: Patty Ryan-Smith.
On top of his game when this mix dropped in 1999, Mark Farina had risen to the rank of superstar DJ -- at least within the States, and particularly on the West Coast and in Chicago -- and represents his newfound status on San Francisco Sessions. The Om-released mix features 14 house tracks, many of them quite funky and some of them a bit jazzy. Overall, San Francisco Sessions accurately represents the Bay Area house sound -- warm, sunny, breezy, open, happy, and carefree. In other words, the tracks feature lots of organic instrumentation rather than programmed sounds, and the tempo never slows to a crawl or heats to a boil. Furthermore, Farina mixes a no doubt impressive set without relying on big records, instead going with relatively obscure tracks in general. ~ Jason Birchmeier