The Five Boroughs Doo Wop Under The Palms
|You Save:||$6 (75% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Taking us back to those golden days of doo wop; these native New Yorkers (who now reside in south Florida) serenade us with group harmony gems from the old neighborhood. Doo Wop Under The Palms features outstanding renditions of "The Way You Look Tonight," "Stardust" and "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."
- 1.See You Next Year
- 3.Count Every Star
- 4.The Way You Look Tonight
- 5.Pennies From Heaven (Acappella)
- 6.Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- 8.The Verdict
- 9.I'll Stop Wanting You (Acappella)
- 10.Have I Told You Lately That I Love You
Five Boroughs: Frank Iovino, Bruce Goldie, John Sorrentino, Dave Strum, Jimmy DellaRosa.
Personnel: Geno Radicello, Frank Iovino, Bruce Goldie (tenor).
Audio Mixer: Frank Iovino.
Recording information: Criteria Studios, Miami, FL (1990); Hollywood Sync, Hollywood, FL (1990); Ridenour Studios, Oakland Park, FL (1990); Studio Center, Miami, FL (1990).
Arrangers: Frank Iovino; Spanky Pionegro.
A group of transplanted New Yorkers who formed a quintet in South Florida in 1986 with an eye to reviving the vocal harmony group tradition from the 1950s and 1960s, the Five Boroughs generally stick pretty close to the doo wop tradition, although they have done some light experimenting with synthesizers and drum machines on some of their tracks. This brief overview of the group from Collectables sticks close to the vest, however, and aside from arrangements that feature a bit more drums and backing band presence than one usually finds in vintage doo wop, the group takes a reverent approach to the genre. Highlights include a cover of the Cleftones' "See You Next Year," "Count Every Star," which was the title track of the group's debut album from Classic Artists Records in 1991, and a wonderfully haunting and fragile version of "Pennies from Heaven," which shows both the joy and the subtle modernization that the Five Boroughs bring to the doo wop table. ~ Steve Leggett
Ultimate Doo Wop Christmas: 10-Track Collection (CD)
$5.97 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
DooWop Under The Palms Music Lover: Edward Renner from Pocono Pines, PA US -- February, 8, 2006
This is the best of the new CD's from Collectible. Beautiful songs all. I never get tired of this. It is head and shoulders over the others.
- Sales Rank: 1,558
- UPC: 090431848326
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The Ohio Express Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Marshmallow Overcoat All You Need Is Fuzz (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Top of the Charts (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- The Band The Best of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down: Recorded Live In Concert (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Beach Boys Greatest Surfing Songs (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE
The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~
$15.47 Super Savings
The "5" Royales The Definitive "5" Royales (2-CD) ~
$15.61 Super Savings
The "5" Royales The Five Royales (CD) ~
$5.78 Super Savings
- The "5" Royales It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD) ~ $17.09
The "5" Royales King A&B Sides (2-CD) ~
$16.56 Super Savings