The Brand New Heavies Trunk Funk Classics: 1991-2000
- Released: November 7, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Delicious Vinyl
- 1.Finish What You Started
- 2.Brother Sister
- 3.Put the Funk Back in It
- 4.Stay This Way
- 5.Back to Love
- 6.Have a Good Time
- 7.Bonafied Funk - (featuring Main Source)
- 8.Never Stop
- 10.Dream on Dreamer
- 11.Sometimes - (remix, featuring Q-Tip)
- 12.Gimme One of Those
- 13.Soul Flower - (featuring The Pharcyde)
- 14.Dream Come True '92
- 15.Saturday Nite - (remix, featuring Mos Def)
The Brand New Heavies includes: Jan Kincaid (vocals, keyboards, bass, drums, percussion); N'Dea Davenport (vocals, keyboards, percussion); Siedah Garrett, Carleen Anderson (vocals); Lascelles Gordon (guitar, percussion); Simon Bartholomew (guitar); Jim Wellman (soprano & tenor saxophones, keyboards); Andrew Levy (keyboards, bass, percussion).
Additional personnel includes: Main Source, The Pharcyde, Mos Def, Q-Tip (rap vocals); Suzi Takayama (arranger); Ikebod Smoinei (pipes); Mike Smith (flute, alto & tenor saxophones); Tim Garland (tenor & baritone saxophones); John Wilmot (tenor saxophone); Joan Walker (baritone saxophone); Andy Ross, Steve Williamson (saxophone); Gerard Presencer (trumpet, flugelhorn); Paul Dias, Martin Shaw, Lawrence Parry, Andy Bush, Paul Newton (trumpet); Brian Archer, Dennis Rollins, Nichol Thompson (trombone); Ceri Evans, Robert Carter, Amp Fiddler (keyboards); Paul Daley, Jeff Scantlebury (percussion).
Producers: The Brand New Heavies, Michael Ross, Orlando Aguillen.
Compilation producers: Michael Ross, Barry Benson.
Engineers: Jeremy Allom, Tim Orford, Jay Lean.
Recorded between 1991 & 2000. Originally released on Delicious Vinyl. Includes liner notes by Andy Bailey.
Digitally remastered by Dan Hersch, Bill Inglot.
Trunk Funk Classics: 1991-2000 is the first Brand New Heavies best-of available domestically in the U.S. Not to be confused with the similarly titled British release Trunk Funk: Best of the Brand New Heavies, the American version doesn't feature all of the group's U.K. chart singles ("Midnight at the Oasis" and "You Are the Universe" are missing), but it does give more airtime to the Heavies' collaborations with American rappers, including Main Source, the Pharcyde, Mos Def, and Q-Tip. There's also a newly recorded track, "Finish What You Started," which temporarily reunites the group with longtime vocalist N'Dea Davenport; wisely, it's also the 1991-1994 Davenport era that's most heavily drawn upon for the collection. It may not be entirely comprehensive, but Trunk Funk Classics does cover the essence of the Brand New Heavies, and just as importantly, it's a consistently infectious listen. ~ Steve Huey
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE