Leonard Bernstein Bernstein: Mass
|You Save:||$1.39 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- by Leonard Bernstein ~ Bernstein: Symphony No. 3 ("Kaddish"); Chichester Psalms ~ $7.19
- by Andrew Lloyd Webber ~ Jesus Christ Superstar (2-CD) ~ $17.98
- Leonard Bernstein's Mass ~ $21.37
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 28, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Sony
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Mass: I. Devotions Before Mass; 1. Antiphon: Kyrie eleison
- 2.Mass: I. Devotions Before Mass; 2. Hymn and Psalm: 'A Simple Song'
- 3.Mass: I. Devotions Before Mass; Responsory: Alleluia
- 4.Mass: Ii. First Introit (Rondo); 1. Prefatory Prayers
- 5.Mass: Ii. First Introit (Rondo); 2. Thrice - Triple Canon: Dominus vobiscum
- 6.Mass: Iii. Second Introit: 1. In nomine Patris
- 7.Mass: Iii. Second Introit; 2. Prayer for the Congregation (Chorale: 'Almighty Father')
- 8.Mass: Iii. Second Introit; 3. Epiphany
- 9.Mass: Iv. Confession; 1. Confiteor
- 10.Mass: Iv. Confession; 2. Trope: 'I Don't Know'
- 11.Mass: Iv. Confession; 3. Trope: 'Easy'
- 12.Mass: V. Meditation No. 1; Orchestra Alone
- 13.Mass: Vi. Gloria; 1. Gloria Tibi
- 14.Mass: Vi. Gloria; 2. Gloria in excelsis
- 15.Mass: Vi. Gloria; 3. Trope; 'Half of The People
- 16.Mass: Vi. Gloria; 4. Trope: 'Thank You'
- 17.Mass: Vii. Meditation No. 2; Orchestra Alone
- 18.Mass: Viii. Epistle; 'The Word of The Lord'
- 19.Mass: Ix. Gospel - Sermon; 'God Said'
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Mass: X. Credo: 1. Credo in unum Deum
- 2.Mass: X. Credo: 2. Trope: 'Non Credo'
- 3.Mass: X. Credo: 3. Trope: 'Hurry'
- 4.Mass: X. Credo: 4. Trope: 'World Without End'
- 5.Mass: X. Credo: 5. Trope: 'I Believe In God'
- 6.Mass: Xi. Meditation No. 3: (De profundis, part 1)
- 7.Mass: Xii. Offertory: (De profundis, part 2)
- 8.Mass: Xiii. The Lord's Prayer: 1. 'Our Father...'
- 9.Mass: Xiii. The Lord's Prayer: 2. Trope: 'I Go On'
- 10.Mass: Xiv. Sanctus: 'Hol y! Holy! Holy!...'
- 11.Mass: Xv. Agnus Dei: 'Agnus Dei...'
- 12.Mass: Xvi. Fraction: 'Things Get Broken'
- 13.Mass: Xvii. Pax: Communion: 'Secret Songs
While critics at the 1971 premiere found the work derivative and even tasteless, audiences loved this ardent, resourceful, somewhat brazen, ultimately moving Theatre Piece for Singers, Players, and Dancers. Leonard Bernstein's affinity for his public and for the age in which he lived enabled him to successfully outfit his Mass with a stylish mix of contemporary and ancient modes--rock, jazz, electronic music, Gregorian chant--and place it in a context somewhere between Broadway and opera. Though it lacks the visual component of a live performance, the work holds up well on this Bernstein-led recording, the only complete version on disc. From the popular "Simple Song" to the Stravinskian rhythmic devices and abundant, memorable melodies, the vital creative force of Bernstein is never absent. --David Vernier
West Side Story (Original Sound Track Recording) (LP)
$9.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 54 ratings.
Based on 54 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!