Wynton Marsalis Carnaval
Only 10 copies left
|You Save:||$0.70 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Sony
- 1.Carnaval: Variations Sur 'Le Carnaval De Venise'
- 2.Carnaval: The Debutante (Caprice Brillant)
- 3.Carnaval: Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms
- 4.Carnaval: Grand Russian Fantasia
- 5.Carnaval: Moto Perpetuo, Op 11
- 6.Carnaval: 'Tis the Last Rose of Summer
- 7.Tsar Saltan: The Flight of The Bumblebee
- 8.Carnaval: Napoli - Variations on a Neapolitan Song
- 9.Carnaval: Fantaisie Brillante
- 10.Carnaval: Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child
- 11.Carnaval: Valse Brillante
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
All arrangements, orchestrations and cadenzas were created by Donald Hunsberger.
Here, Wynton Marsalis switches to cornet and tries to recreate the ambience of the proverbial village wind bands of long ago -- albeit with the emphatically big-league help of Donald Hunsberger and the massive Eastman Wind Ensemble. This means a program of transcriptions of classical tunes, variations on popular ditties, dollops of sentimentality, heaping amounts of showoff display figurations, and other stuff that used to go over big in Middle America in the days before radio and electrical recording came in. From the hoary old hurdy-gurdy tune "The Carnival of Venice" that leads off the album onward, this is a record for dedicated antiquarians who dote on their Edison band cylinders because they like the music. But Marsalis works earnestly with the idea, playing those insidiously hummable tunes absolutely straight, with acres of flawless rapid-fire technical displays and even a touch of soulfulness on the token spiritual, "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child." And Marsalis' pass through the nonstop minefield of Paganini's Moto Perpetuoz, using circular breathing to make the dumbfounded listener think that he doesn't have to take a breath, is a pretty astounding technical feat. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play the Blues: Live from... (CD)(124)
$16.59 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE