Raymond Scott Manhattan Research, Inc. (2-CD)
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- by Raymond Scott ~ Reckless Nights And Turkish Twillights ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: May 16, 2000
- Label: Basta Records
Spin - 9/00, p.185"...69 love songs to commerce and the space age....The music is both archaic and 'tres moderne'..."
The Wire - 6/00, p.57"...Scott's flair for invention suited an age for car batteries, electric-powered toys and bright new chemical products. By using it to bring a gloss and sparkle to prevailing notions of progress, he helped drag electronic music out of the laboratory and into the home..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 6/00, p.101"...Comprises generally abstract [electronic] experiments; space-age ad jingles...sonic experiments with tape loops and new instruments, or bleepy soundtracks for futuristic theme parks....A work of art in its own right..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Manhattan Research Inc. Copyright
- 2.Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. - (take 4, TRUE instrumental)
- 3.Bendix 1: The Tomorrow People
- 5.The Bass-Line Generator
- 6.Don't Beat Your Wife Every Night!
- 7.B.C. 1675
- 9.Auto-Lite: Sta-Ful - (TRUE instrumental)
- 10.Sprite: Melonball Bounce - (TRUE instrumental)
- 11.Sprite: Melonball Bounce
- 12.Wheels That Go
- 13.Limbo: The Organized Mind
- 14.Portofino - (version 1)
- 15.Country Fair
- 16.Lady Gaylord
- 17.Good Air - (take 7)
- 18.Ibm Mt / St: The Paperwork Explosion
- 20.Super Cheer
- 21.Cheer: Revision 3
- 22.Twilight in Turkey
- 23.Medley:: Raymond Scott Quote / Vicks: Medicated Cough Drops
- 24.Vicks: Formula 44
- 25.Auto-Lite: Spark Plugs
- 28.Backwards Overload
- 29.Bufferin: Memories - (original version)
- 30.Bandito the Bongo Artist
- 31.Night and Day
- 32.Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. (395)
- 34.Ibm Probe
- 35.Gmgm 1a
- 36.The Rhythm Modulator
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Ohio Plus
- 2.In the Hall of the Mountain Queen
- 3.General Motors: Futurama
- 4.Portofino - (version 2)
- 5.The Wild Piece
- 7.Cyclic Bit
- 8.Ripples (Montage)
- 9.The Wing Thing
- 10.Country Fair - (TRUE instrumental)
- 11.Cindy Electronium
- 12.Don't Beat Your Wife Every Night! - (TRUE instrumental)
- 13.Hostess: Twinkies
- 14.Hostess: Twinkies - (TRUE instrumental)
- 15.Ohio Bell: Thermo Fax
- 16.The Pygmy Taxi Corporation
- 17.Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. - (take 1, announce copy)
- 18.Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. - (full version)
- 19.Lightworks - (slow version)
- 20.Paperwork Explosion, The - (TRUE instrumental)
- 21.Auto-Lite: Ford Family
- 22.Auto-Lite: Ford Family - (TRUE instrumental)
- 23.Raymond Scott Quote
- 24.Auto-Lite: Wheels
- 25.Bufferin: Memories - (demo version)
- 26.Space Mystery (Montage)
- 27.The Toy Trumpet
- 28.Backward Bleeps
- 29.Raymond Scott Quote / Auto-Lite: Sta-Ful
- 30.Lightworks - (alternate instrumental version)
- 31.When Will It End?
- 32.Bendix 2: The Tomorrow People
- 33.Electronic Audio Logos, Inc.
Includes a 144-page hard-bound book.
MANHATTAN RESEARCH INC. features electronic music, musique concrete experiments, advertising jingles, and soundtracks originally featured in Jim Henson's pre-Muppet films. The electronic sounds generated on this 2-CD set were made by Raymond Scott inventions including the Clavivox, Circle Machine, Bass Line Generator, Rhythm Modulator, Karloff, Bandito The Bongo Artist and Electronium.
Personnel includes: Raymond Scott (spoken vocals, various electronic instruments); Dorothy Collins (vocals); Jim Henson (spoken vocals).
Recorded between 1953 & 1969. Includes liner notes by Joel Chadabe, Jeff Winner, Karen Falk, Gert-Jan Blom and Irwin Chusid. Includes interviews with Robert Moog, Herb Deutsch, Alan Entenman and Thomas Rhea.
Fascinated by the orderliness of sounds and machines, Raymond Scott composed and produced his innovative, eccentric, electronic music for commercials, films and his own amusement in the '50s and '60s. In assembling this overview of Scott's oeuvre, this lavish double album writes an important chapter in his life and career, defining his place in electronic music's history.
The research that went into this project (in large part by Jeff Winner and Gert-Jan Blom), is lovingly mirrored in the remarkable 144-page full-color hardbound book that houses the two discs. There are rare photos and documents, numerous interviews and essays, and nothing is superfluous. The overall effect of the entire package is to create a portrait of a unique, creatively driven artist.
Soothing Sounds for Baby, Volume 1: 1 to 6 Months (CD)
Soothing Sounds for Baby, Volume 3: 12 to 18 Months (CD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Soothing Sounds for Baby, Volume 2: 6 to 12 Months (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 24 ratings.
Based on 24 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE