Isham Jones Plays His Own Compositions
|You Save:||$1.60 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Jack Hylton ~ Hot Hylton 1926-1930 ~ $10.78
- Released: January 9, 2001
- Label: Swing Time Records
- 1.All Wrong - Isham Jones
- 2.It Had to Be You - Isham Jones
- 3.I'll See You in My Dreams - Isham Jones
- 4.Feeling That Way - Isham Jones, Frank Sylvano
- 5.What's the Use? - Isham Jones
- 6.Spain - Isham Jones
- 7.I Keep Remembering - Isham Jones, Frank Sylvano
- 8.Son of the Blues - Isham Jones, Frank Sylvano
- 9.You're Just a Dream Come True - Isham Jones, Frank Sylvano
- 10.I'm Bidding My Buddy Goodbye - Isham Jones, Frank Sylvano
- 11.Let That Be a Lesson to You - Isham Jones
- 12.If You Were Only Mine - Isham Jones
- 13.I Can't Believe It's True - Isham Jones, Eddie Stone
- 14.One Little Word Lead to Another - Charles French, Isham Jones
- 15.I Only Found You for Somebody Else - Charles French, Isham Jones
- 16.I'll Never Have to Dream Again - Isham Jones
- 17.There's Nothing Left to Do But Say Goodbye - Isham Jones, Frank Sylvano
- 18.Why Can't This Night Go on Forever - Isham Jones
- 19.Honestly - Isham Jones,
- 20.Old Lace - Isham Jones
- 21.Just Born to Be Lonesome - Isham Jones,
- 22.You're Welcome - Isham Jones,
- 23.It's Funny to Everyone But Me - Isham Jones,
Recorded from 1923-1924.
Contains 23 tracks.
Personnel: Isham Jones (saxophone); Jack Blanchette (guitar, violin); Charles McNeill (banjo); Leo Murphy, Eddie Stone (violin); Don Cowan, Dick Hall (clarinet, saxophone); Al Mauling (clarinet); Artie Vanasec, Saxie Mansfield (saxophone); George Thow, Clarence Willard, Johnny Carlson (trumpet); Joe Bishop (flugelhorn); Sonny Lee, Jack Jenny, Carroll Martin (trombone); Lauren Brown, John Kuhn (tuba); James Noble, Roy Bargy (piano).
Arrangers: Gordon Jenkins; Joe Bishop.
Isham Jones is remembered as leader of a sweet dance band and as composer of attractive melodies, some of which endured as jazz standards. In 2001, Swing Time released Isham Jones Plays His Own Compositions, a collection which focuses equally upon both aspects of his legacy. Not surprisingly in light of the fact that a compendium of every tune Jones ever wrote and recorded would probably not have fit onto one compact disc, what Swing Time provides are 23 recordings which seem to have usually been made around the date of each song's publication. The earliest example here is "All Wrong," recorded in May of 1923. This is followed by the two best-known titles, "It Had to Be You" and "I'll See You in My Dreams," both from 1924. Most of the recordings on this collection date from the early '30s, and are typical of sweet dance band records of that vintage. Jazz musicians who strengthened the sound of the ensemble were cornetist Louis Panico (only present on the first three tracks); pianist Roy Bargy, and trombonist Jack Jenney, who clambered aboard in 1932. The chronology presented here advances no further than 1934, with the sobering "It's Funny to Everyone But Me." Arrangements are largely credited to Gordon Jenkins, or to fl?gelhorn handler Joe Bishop. Jones' main lyricists were Charles Newman and Gus Kahn. Singers who articulate the verses on this collection have been identified as Joe Martin, Frank Sylvano, Frank Hazzard, and Charles French. A fifth source of epiglottal emissions was violinist Eddie Stone (nee Edward Marblestone), who also sang with Freddy Martin's orchestra. Like most any Isham Jones collection, this is a constitutional dose of neatly arranged and heavily sweetened dance music from the '20s and the lean years of the Great Depression. Note that three of Jones' best known compositions are not included here: "On the Alamo" (1922), "The One I Love Belongs to Someone Else" (1924), and "There is No Greater Love" (1936). ~ arwulf arwulf
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE