- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 11 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 30, 2001
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary:
- Bernard Tavernier - Director
- French - 1. Bernard Tavernier - Director
- Cast and Crew Biographies
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1986 -
Best Original Score: Herbie Hancock
Sight and Sound - 12/01/1986
"...[ROUND MIDNIGHT] packs a terrific emotional punch..."
New York Times - 09/30/1986
"...[Gordon] becomes the very embodiment of the music itself....Masterly..."
Los Angeles Times - 02/11/1994
"...Watching Dale and Francis grow close is a subdued experience that evolves in quiet ways..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/16/1986
"...This is the world of jazz from the very inside....'ROUND MIDNIGHT is the first film about jazzmen to be made in their own rhythms; it's a ballad, with repeated themes, long sustained passages and a perfect, delicate gravity about it..."
Entertainment Weekly - 02/23/2001
"...This Oscar-winning ode to the power of jazz gets at the root of the great American art form..."
'ROUND MIDNIGHT is the moving story of an expatriate black jazz musician and his struggle to create the bebop sound in 1959 Paris. Dexter Gordon is sensational in the lead role--he earned an Academy Award nomination for his portrayal of Dale Turner--and Herbie Hancock, who appears in the film, was nominated for his score. Director Bertrand Tavernier beautifully captures the many joys and sorrows that encompass the jazz world.