Warner Archive Collection (series)
- Rated: PG
- Video: Color
- Released: April 8, 2014
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Warner Bros.
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||John Turturro, Mel Smith & Bob Nelson|
|Performer:||George De La Pena, John Savident, Juliana Donald, Teri Copley & Nancy Marchand|
|Directed by||Dennis Dugan|
|Edited by||Malcolm Campbell|
|Screenplay by||Pat Proft|
|Composition by||Ira Newborn|
|Cinematography by||David M. Walsh|
|Produced by||James D. Brubaker & Gil Netter|
|Executive Production by||David Zucker & Jerry Zucker|
"...[A] reasonably snappy attempt at notihing less than a present-day Marx Brothers comedy, with a cigar-waving John Turturro mugging furiously in the main role....Charming abandon..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
- Color by Technicolor.
- Will Vinton Productions created the Claymation title sequence at the beginning of the film.
- Very loosely based on the Marx Brothers' classic "A Night at the Opera" (1935), "Brain Donors" is an homage to the work of that legendary comedy team, with Turturro playing the Groucho part, Nelson as Harpo, and Smith in the Chico role. Nancy Marchand also does a comic turn as a sort of modern-day Margaret Dumont.
- Part of "Brain Donors" was shot at the Morton Estate in Pasadena; the Marx Brothers' "Duck Soup" (1933) was also filmed there.
- George De La Pena, who plays the film's egotistical "danseur," was formerly a principal dancer in American Ballet Theater.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
A short word on Brain Donors (1992): Get it. I don't even think it was featured for a full week at the cinemas, but it made cable and that's where I found it. It is truly a great fast talking Marx Brothers movie--but made fifty years later. John Turturro is Groucho, Mel Smith is an English Chico and Bob Nelson is not quite a mute Harpo. But that's all right, we needed a new Marx Brother movie anyhow, and these guys will do. It's truly a clone of "Night At The Opera" but dressed up nineties-style and ballet instead of opera. So get it anyway and be prepared to laugh. By the way it came from the group that did Naked Gun and Hot Shots! movies, so you will know what you are in for. Enjoy!
- Sales Rank: 18,421
- UPC: 883316948149
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Comedy genre:
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Attack of the 30's Characters - Cartoon Classics from All Eight Major American Animation Studios (DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- Foreplay (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE
- Buster Keaton - Industrial Strength: Classic Commercials, Industrial Films & Archival Rarities (2-DVD) ~ $2.39 CYBER SALE
- The Evolved (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE