Harold Arlen The Music of Harold Arlen: The 1955 Walden Sessions
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Ira Gershwin ~ The 1952 Walden Sessions ~ $15.29
- Released: July 17, 2001
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Harbinger
- 1.I Love A New Yorker - Louise Carlyle
- 2.My Shining Hour - Warren Galjour
- 3.Come Rain Or Come Shine - Louise Carlyle
- 4.Let's Take A Walk Around The Block - Louise Carlyle / Bob Shaver
- 5.I Wonder What Became of Me? - Miriam Burton
- 6.Can I Leave Off Weariin' My Shoes? - June Ericson / Harold Arlen
- 7.I Had Myself A True Love - June Ericson
- 8.Fun To Be Fooled - Bob Shaver
- 9.Happiness Is A Thing Called Joe - Louise Carlyle
- 10.Halloween - Bob Shaver
- 11.Right As The Rain - Louise Carlyle
- 12.One For My Baby - Louise Carlyle
- 13.Hit The Road To Dreamland
- 14.Moanin' In The Mornin'
- 16.You're The Cure For What Ails Me
- 17.It's A New World
- 18.Buds Won't Bud
- 19.I Never Has Seen Snow
- 21.Last Night When We Were Young
- 22.T' Morra' T' Morra'
- 23.House of Flowers Waltz
- 24.Hooray For Love
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Harold Arlen (vocals, piano); Miriam Burton, Louise Carlyle, Bob Shaver, Warren Galjour, June Ericson (vocals); Peter Matz (arranger, piano).
Producer: Leon Seidel.
Reissue producers: Bill Rudman, Ken Bloom.
Recorded in New York, New York in 1955. Includes original liner notes by Edith Garson and Edward Jablonski, and reissue liner notes by Bill Rudman and Ken Bloom.
Digitally remastered by Doug Pomeroy.
This CD combines the contents of two albums released by Walden Records in 1955, The Music of Harold Arlen, Vol. 1 (Walden 306), featuring performances by Arlen himself, singing his songs and accompanying himself on piano (tracks 13-24 here), and The Music of Harold Arlen, Vol. 2 (Walden 307), on which Arlen's songs were performed by the vocalists Miriam Burton, Louise Carlyle, June Ericson, Warren Galjour, and Bob Shaver (tracks 1-12 here). Walden, founded by Edward Jablonski (who went on to become Arlen's biographer), was devoted to recording lesser-known songs written by major songwriters like Cole Porter, Rodgers & Hart, and Arthur Schwartz. The songs were performed in what was a contemporary style of the early '50s, small-band jazz arrangements tending toward piano/bass/drums trios, with the occasional addition of a guitar or a reed instrument; the biggest ensembles heard here are octets with a few strings added to the mix. Those arrangements were done by the estimable Peter Matz. Jablonski seems to have felt that he had no need to call attention to established Arlen standards like "Stormy Weather" or "Blues in the Night," while he was interested in giving greater exposure to, for example, "Halloween" and "I Love a New Yorker," both from the 1950 film My Blue Heaven. Among the guest vocalists, Miriam Burton was just then appearing in Arlen's Broadway musical House of Flowers, although she was not assigned any of the songs from the show. She and the others perform effectively. Arlen, making his first recordings as a vocalist in many years, proves an excellent singer with a supple tenor capable of bringing out the nuances of lyrics by his collaborators including Ira Gershwin, E.Y. Harburg, and Johnny Mercer, when he isn't displaying his piano capability on the instrumentals "Minuet" and "House of Flowers Waltz." ~ William Ruhlmann
Mary Poppins [Remastered Original Soundtrack / Bonus Tracks] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
The Sound of Music [35th Anniversary Soundtrack + Bonus... (CD)
$5.97 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE