The King of Kings (Special Edition Double-DVD)
Only 7 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$31.14 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$8.81 (22% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 27 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: December 7, 2004
- Originally Released: 1927
- Label: Criterion
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: This Release Contains Both The 155 Minute Roadshow Version and The 112 Minute General Release Version
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Alternate Audio Tracks:
- Score By Donald Sosin, 1927 Version
- Score By Timothy J. Tikker, 1931 Version
- Original Score By Hugo Riesenfeld
- Cast Portraits By Photographer W.M. Mortensen
- Original Illustrated Program
- Press Book Featuring Photographs Of The Films Premiere At Grauman's Chinese Theatre
- Production And Costume Sketches By Artist Dan Sayre Groesbeck
- Stills Gallery:
- Rare Production Photos
- Publicity Photos
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Dorothy Cumming & H.B. Warner|
|Performer:||Jacqueline Logan, Ernest Torrance, Joseph Schildkraut, Victor Varconi & Sam De Grasse|
|Featured:||William Boyd, Rudolph Schildkraut, Montagu Love & Ayn Rand|
|Directed by||Cecil B. DeMille|
|Screenwriting by||Jeanie Macpherson|
|Story by||Jeanie Macpherson|
|Director of Photography:||J. Peverell Marley|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The King Of Kings is the Greatest Story Ever Told as only Cecil B. DeMille could tell it. In 1927, working with the biggest budget in the history of Hollywood, DeMille spun the life and Passion of Christ into one of the highest-grossing films of all time. Featuring text drawn directly from the Bible, a cast of thousands, and a cinematic bag of tricks that could belong to none other than Hollywood's greatest showman, The King Of Kings is at once spectacular and deeply reverent-part Gospel, part Technicolor epic. Criterion is proud to present one of the best-loved films ever made in a two-disc edition featuring both the 112 minute general release version and the rarely seen 155 minute cut that premiered at the grand opening of Grauman's Chinese Theatre.
Cecil B. DeMille, Paramount's master showman, would revisit the biblical epic many times over the course of his long and varied career, culminating in 1956 with his grand-scale version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. The beginning of his lifelong fascination with biblical history can be seen in this silent interpretation of the life of Christ that combines DeMille's love of visual spectacle and historical realism with his penchant for high melodrama. DeMille retells the story from the point of view of Mary Magdalene (Dorothy Cumming), once a courtesan for the decadent and gluttonous empire of Rome, who is made pure by Jesus' (H.B. Warner) love. Taking text directly from the Bible, DeMille follows Jesus' rise to greatness as he humbly performs miracles and amasses thousands of devout followers. Jesus is introduced in the film through the healed eyes of a blind child, aglow with the light of faith. DeMille stylishly combines early Hollywood glamor with deep religious reverence in this classic adaptation that culminates in a Technicolor segment depicting the Resurrection. The film was remade by Nicholas Ray in 1961, with Jeffrey Hunter in the lead role.
Cecil B. DeMille interprets the life of Christ through the eyes of Mary Magdalene in this original silent epic featuring the infamous parting of the Red Sea.
Bible Epic | Biblical | Classic | History | Recommended | Religion | Silent
- Novelist and philosopher Ayn Rand was an extra in this film and can be seen only fleetingly in several crowd scenes. It was during the filming of THE KING OF KINGS that she met her lifelong husband, Frank O'Connor, who played a Roman soldier.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 37 ratings.
Based on 37 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Ed.) (DVD)
$1.58 on SALE
Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Ed.) (DVD + CD Soundtrack)
$1.58 on SALE