Screamin' Jay Hawkins The Whamee 1953-55
- Released: July 10, 2006
- Label: Rev-Ola
- 1.I Put A Spell On You
- 2.She Put The Whamee On Me
- 3.What That Is
- 4.In My Front Room
- 5.This Is All
- 6.You're All Of My Life To Me
- 7.Well I Tried
- 8.Talk About Me
- 9.Even Though
- 10.Not Anymore
- 11.Baptize Me In Wine
- 12.Coronation Jump
- 13.Why Did You Waste My Time?
- 14.No Hug, No Kiss
- 15.Tiny's Jump (Alternative Take Of/ "Coronation Jump") - (alternate take)
- 16.Why Did You Waste My Time ?
- 17.Tiny's Jump (Alternative Take of "Coronation Jump") Instrumental
- 18.I Found My Way To Wine - (alternate take)
- 19.Please Try To Understand
- 20.$10,000 Lincoln Continental
- 21.Take Me Back
- 22.I Is (Incomplete Take)
- 23.I Is
- 24.Pauline (Unissued)
- 25.10,000 Lincoln Continental (Alternative take) - (alternate take)
- 26.Bobby Lewis-Mumbles Blues
- 27.Mumbles Blues (With Bobby Lewis)
Includes 1 bonus track.
Shock-rock godfather Screamin' Jay Hawkins's Howlin'-Wolf-meets-Dracula brand of horror blues hit the big time in 1956 with "I Put a Spell on You," but this collection documents the years leading up to that breakthrough. Focusing on his earliest recordings, from 1953-55, THE WHAMEE find Hawkins no less imposing a figure for his lack of celebrity or experience. There are some alternate, early versions of later hits like the abovementioned classic, but the real finds here are the lesser-known tunes, where Hawkins' zombie-on-the-rampage wail haunts some slamming '50s R&B arrangements for a sound that foreshadows things to come. It all amounts to a captivating snapshot of a true American original finding his artistic feet.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE