- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 24, 2009
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio commentary by co-writer/co-producer John Eskow
- "Pre-flight: the storyboards of Air America" featurette
- "Flight log" featurette
- "Return flight: revisiting Air America" retrospective featurette
- Theatrical trailer
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 08/10/1990
"...Guffaws aplenty, including some good-natured tweaking of CIA harassment techniques..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/10/1990
"...It's a great, untapped movie subject....It's a free-wheeling, sporty entertainment..."
Based on actual events, this satiric drama--based on true events--tells the story of an airline allegedly purchased by the CIA solely for the purpose of opium and heroin smuggling out of Laos to help finance the Vietman War. One pilot (Mel Gibson) believes in his mission. The other (Robert Downey, Jr.) would like to do the whole program in. The retired General who heads the operation will do anything to protect it.
High Flying |
Theatrical Release |
- Shot in Rank Color, DeLuxe prints. Recorded in Dolby.
- The film reportedly cost $35 million, and was shot in Thailand with several aerial units to perform the extensive stunts.
- Copyright 1990 Carolco Pictures, Inc.