Barbara Cook Barbara Cook Sings Mostly Sondheim: Live at Carnegie Hall (2-CD)
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Barbara Cook ~ Barbara Cook at the Met with Special Guests (Live) ~ $17.99
- by Barbara Cook ~ Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder ~ $20.39
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: May 8, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: DRG
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Anyone Can Whistle, musical: Everybody Says Don't
- 2.St. Louis Woman, musical play: I Wonder What Became of Me?
- 3.Bloomer Girl, musical play: The Eagle And Me
- 4.St. Louis Woman, musical play: I Had Myself A True Love
- 5.Into the Woods, musical play: Into The Woods / Giants In The Sky
- 6.Another hundred people, song (from Company)
- 7.Let's Face the Music and Dance, song (from "Follow the Fleet")
- 8.Passion, musical play: Happiness
- 9.Passion, musical play: Loving You
- 10.Company, musical: You Could Drive A Person Crazy
- 11.Work(s): Not A Day Goes By (from Merrily We Roll Along) / Losing My Mind (from Follies)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Hooray for What, musical play: Buds Won't Bud
- 2.Annie Get Your Gun, musical: I Got Lost In His Arms
- 3.West Side Story, musical: Something's Coming / Tonight
- 4.Sunday in the Park with George, musical play: Move On
- 5.Work(s): San Francisco Medley: Hard Hearted Hannah / Waiting For The Robert E. Lee / San Francisco
- 6.She Loves Me, musical: Ice Cream
- 7.A Little Night Music, musical: Send In The Clowns
- 8.Meet Me In St. Louis, film score: The Trolley Song
- 9.Sweeney Todd, musical play: Not While I'm Around
- 10.Anyone Can Whistle, musical: Anyone Can Whistle
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Barbara Cook, Wally Harper, Malcolm Gets.
Recorded live at Carnegie Hall, New York, New York on February 2, 2001. Includes liner notes by Frank Rich.
Personnel: Barbara Cook (vocals); Malcolm Gets (vocals, piano); Wally Harper (piano).
Audio Mixer: Cynthia Daniels.
Liner Note Author: Frank Rich.
Recording information: Carnegie Hall, New York, NY (02/02/2001).
Director: Wally Harper.
Editor: Cynthia Daniels.
Arranger: Wally Harper.
For a tribute concert commemorating his 70th birthday in 2000, Stephen Sondheim compiled a list of his favorite songs that he didn't write rather than those he did. Barbara Cook used that list in putting together her own concert program in 2001, though, as its title suggests, the song list remained "mostly Sondheim." Cook, who has become increasingly prolific on records since hooking up with DRG in 1993, has previously devoted titles to lyricists Dorothy Fields (Close as Pages in a Book) and Oscar Hammerstein II (Oscar Winners). But as annotator Frank Rich points out, though she and Sondheim scored their first Broadway successes within months of each other in 1957, she in The Music Man, he with the lyrics to West Side Story, she has never seemed a likely Sondheim interpreter. Her sweet, sincere style contrasts with his biting wit and introspection, and she never appeared in one of his shows. But in 1985, she essayed "Losing My Mind" in the concert version of Follies and made the song her own, and here she chooses carefully from the songwriter's repertoire and from his favorites. Songs like "Send in the Clowns" and "Anyone Can Whistle" well suit her approach, and she makes a point of singing the happy-love lyrics only from "Not a Day Goes By." The real finds on the album are her two selections from Passion, "Happiness" and "Loving You," which have not been much heard since the show closed. Among the non-Sondheim material, her Harold Arlen interpretations are stellar. She gives up the stage once in each act to Malcolm Gets, an agreeable singer who also performs duets with her several times, most impressively on "Not While I'm Around." That's the only suggestion that this septuagenarian is getting a little old; you never hear it in her sparkling voice. ~ William Ruhlmann
Hansel and Gretel [NBC Television Musical Spectacular] /... (CD)(4)
$11.70 Super Savings
The CBS Television Specials: Live at Carnegie Hall/ Live at... (CD)(12)
$14.53 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD)(6)
$2.98 on SALE
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE