- Released: June 5, 2006
- Label: DRG
- 1.I Wish I Were in Love Again
- 2.Just A Memory / They Can't Take That Away From Me
- 3.You've Got Possibilities
- 4.Falling In Love With Love / I Fall In Love Too Easily
- 5.I Get Along Without You Very Well
- 6.Comes Love
- 7.The Laziest Gal
- 8.Loving You / Why Was I Born?
- 9.Just One of Those Things
- 10.Like It Was
- 11.Down With Love
- 12.I Get Lost in His Arms
- 13.I Wish You Love (Que Reste-II de Nos Amours?)
- 14.Stormy Weather
- 15.As Long as He Needs Me
Personnel: Karen Akers (vocals); Dave Schiavone (flute, saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Don Rebic (piano); Chip Jackson (bass instrument); Eric Wills, Eric Willis (drums).
Liner Note Author: Karen Akers.
Recording information: Right On Track (06/02/2005-02/03/2006); Sound On Sound Recording Studios, NY, NY (06/02/2005-02/03/2006).
Photographer: Heather Sullivan .
Arranger: Don Rebic.
A superior cabaret singer, Karen Akers gets very much into the lyrics of each song she interprets. She sticks closely to both the melodies and the words, has a distinctive voice, and swings lightly. Although a few of the numbers on Like It Was, a nostalgic look back at some of her favorite tunes (most of which are love songs), are taken at a medium tempo and given a jazz feel by her sidemen, Akers sings the words very straight and without improvising. In other words, she is a model cabaret singer, so fans of the idiom will certainly enjoy her approach. ~ Scott Yanow