- Released: June 24, 2008
- Label: Free Reed Us Release
Q - 12/92, p.1444 Stars
- Excellent - "...In effect a folk opera, it was his best achievement, something to be detailed in any discussion of a folk revival..."
- 2.The Ballad of Henry & Susannah 1
- 3.Us Poor fellows
- 4.The Robber s Song
- 5.The Ballad of Henry & Susannah 2
- 6.The Leaves in the WoodlanD
- 7.The Ballad of Henry & Susannah 3
- 8.I Once Lived in Service
- 9.The Ballad of Norwich Gaol
- 10.Sweet Loving Friendship
- 11.The Ballad of Henry & Susannah 4
- 12.The Black and Bitter Night
- 13.The Humane Turnkey - 1
- 14.The Plymouth Mail
- 15.The Humane Turnkey 2
- 16.The Green Fields of England
- 17.Roll Down
- 18.The Still & Silent Ocean
- 19.The Ballad of Henry & Susannah 5
- 20.Dance: The Convicts Wedding
- 21.Dance: The Convicts Wedding
Personnel includes: Peter Bellamy, June Tabor, Martin Carthy, Nic Jones, The Watersons (vocals); Dave Swarbrick (violin); Oliver Brookes (cello); Philippa Davies (flute); Sophia Wilson (oboe).
Recorded in 1977. Includes liner notes by Eric Fowler.
Spine-tingling close harmonies, a compelling storyline, original songs, and a cast of British folk luminaries (Martin Carthy, Nic Jones, June Tabor, and Norma Waterson, to name a few) distinguish Peter Bellamy 's 1977 "ballad opera," the musical presentation of a true story about Australian convicts who meet and fall in love while imprisoned. This classic song cycle has been reissued with an expanded track list and liner notes.