- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 29, 2003
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 01/22/1996
"...[The film] offers discreet and traditional pleasures that are exceedingly rare on the screen today..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/17/1997
"...Daringly offbeat....[D'Onofrio] creates one of the most vividly neurotic portraits of a writer ever put on film..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/23/1996
"...A strange and strangely moving love story....[Zellweger] is a dream here..."
An ambitious West Texas schoolmarm (Renee Zellweger) with literary inclinations is drawn romantically to an idiosyncratic writer (Vincent D'Onofrio) of pulp horror tales, despite his virtually Oedipal attachment to his convalescent mother and his other emotional troubles. A tender, offbeat romantic story based on the memoir "One Who Walked Alone," written by Novalyne Price of her brief affair with "Conan the Barbarian" creator Robert E. Howard.
- Shown in competition at the 1996 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.
- Released theatrically in the USA December 25, 1996.