- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 6, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.39
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Closed Captioned - English - Optional
- Dolby Digital Surround Sound 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Director and Filmmakers
- "The Hybrid Theory" - Visual Effects
- "The War Rages On" - Stunts
- "Bloodlines: From Script to Screen" - Making-of
- "Making Monsters Roar" - Creature Design
- "Building a Saga" - Production Design
- "Music and Mayhem" - Music and Sound Design
- Music Video - Atreyu - "Her Portrait in Black"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Widescreen Review - 06/01/2006
"The picture is appropriately dark and the color palette is filled with greys and greens."
Ultimate DVD - 07/01/2006
4 stars out of 5 -- "Despite the sound and fury, it's ROMEO AND JULIET with vampires and werewolves..."
Bloodthirsty vengeance is measured out in buckets, not spoonfuls for this hard-hitting vampire movie sequel. The story picks up right where the first UNDERWORLD left off, in the midst of a war between Lycans (werewolves) and vampires, with the gorgeous death-dealer, Selene (Kate Beckinsale), on the run with her vamp-wolf hybrid lover, Michael (Scott Speedman). This go-'round, there are flashbacks to three centuries earlier and the separation of two ultra-bad brothers, one vampire and one Lycan. The Lycan gets locked in a hidden tomb/prison and the feud begins. In the present, the winged vamp brother Marcus (Tony Curran) is determined to find his Lycan sibling and free him, which would wreak unimaginable havoc on the world. Selene's got to stop it, and the result is mayhem, with great gun battles, bashings and hackings, mysterious artifacts, orgies, and sneaking around in the dripping wet crypts and catacombs. Beckinsale looks great with her jet-black hair, skintight leather bodysuit, red lips, and glowing blue eyes. Director Len Wiseman obviously has a great love for this alternate universe; he keeps the action humming, the blood running, and the cast well-stocked with seasoned British actors like Sir Derek Jacobi, Bill Nighy, and Steven Mackintosh. The sex and violence may still be a bit intense for youngsters, but for the vampire crowd, it's a moveable feast of generous, still-twitching proportions.
Description by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment:
Kate Beckinsale is back as vampire heroine Selene in the highly anticipated sequel to Underworld. Underworld Evolution continues the saga of war between the aristocratic Death Dealers and the barbaric Lycans (werewolves). The film traces the beginnings of the ancient feud between the two tribes as Selene (Kate Beckinsale), the vampire heroine, and her love Michael (Scott Speedman), the lycan hybrid, try to unlock the secrets of their bloodlines. The tale of action, intrigue and forbidden love takes them into the battle to end all wars as the immortals must finally face their retribution.
Fantasy Worlds |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release: January 20, 2006