- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 2, 2001
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Featurette: THE MAKING OF UNDER SUSPICION
- Audio Commentary:
- Stephen Hopkins - Director
- Morgan Freeman - Star
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 09/22/2000
"The key pleasure of this Caribbean-set mystery is seeing Gene Hackman...at the center of attention again..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/05/2001
"...[Hackman and Freeman] are, as always, splendid..."
Rolling Stone - 10/26/2000
"...A mesmerizing mind teaser....Hackman and Freeman will pin you to your seat..."
Los Angeles Times - 09/22/2000
"...UNDER SUSPICION is absorbing, keeping you guessing right up to a wallop of a finish and offers the pleasures of a chamber drama's bravura performance from a pair of supremely accomplished pros..."
Total Film - 11/01/2000
"...Freeman, as ever, commands respect with a low-key turn..."
Director Stephen Hopkins' (LOST IN SPACE) crime thriller is a remake of the 1981 French film GARDE À VUE, and is adapted from John William Wainwright's novel BRAINWASH. On the evening of the San Sebastian festival in San Juan, Puerto Rico, wealthy tax attorney Henry Hearst (Gene Hackman) is supposed to attend a charity ball with his lovely, much younger wife Chantal (Monica Belluci), but is called to police headquarters. The previous day, during his morning run, Hearst discovered the dead body of a 12-year-old girl. Captain Victor Benezet (Morgan Freeman) and the explosive young Detective Owens (Thomas Jane) say they merely want to clarify some details in Hearst's statement. However, when the questioning begins and Hearst stumbles over his answers, it is evident that the police suspect Hearst is involved. As the interrogation wears on, particulars of the prominent lawyer's personal life, and his complex relationship with his young wife are revealed. On the quest to discover Hearst's innocence or guilt, the film features tense duels between Hearst and Benezet, and an inventive retracing of events leading up to the murder while set against the lovely, exotic backdrop of San Juan.
Stephen Hopkins's UNDER SUSPICION stars Gene Hackman as a lawyer who finds the dead body of a murdered girl on his morning jog. He calls the police to report the tragedy, and a day later is called in to be interrogated as a suspect.
Serial Killers |
Theatrical Release |
- IN THEATRES: SEPTEMBER 22, 2000 (NY/LA)
- Theatrical release: September 22, 2000
- Filmed on location in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- One of Morgan Freeman's (Captain Victor Benezet) early acting jobs was playing "Easy Reader" on the children's educational television program THE ELECTRIC COMPANY, from 1971-1976.
- Freeman and Gene Hackman (Henry Hearst) worked together previously on Clint Eastwood's UNFORGIVEN--Hackman won his second Academy Award (for Best Supporting Actor) for his role as Sheriff Daggett.