- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 24, 1998
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 08/14/1992
"...Smooth, entertaining and believably sophisticated....Both actresses are exceptionally good..."
USA Today - 08/14/1992
"...Barbet Schroeder's direction and two exceptional leads make FEMALE the best of the bunch..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 08/14/1993
"...Clever....The cat-and-mouse structure remains fun....[Leigh] offers the most convincing portrayal of a psychotic in recent films..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/14/1992
"...Fonda has the rare ability to be simultaneously tough-minded and vulnerable, almost yearningly so..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 08/14/1992
"...[Schroeder] has a mordant humor that pushes the material over the top....Both Fonda and Leigh pull out all the stops in their performances..."
After an unfaithful fiancé moves out, a young New Yorker (Bridget Fonda) advertises for a roommate to help with expenses. She gets more than she bargained for when the "perfect roommate" (Jennifer Jason Leigh) moves in and develops a dangerous obsession with her, taking over her clothes, her boyfriend, and her identity, in this
tense psychological drama from Barbet Schroeder.
Serial Killers |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: August 1992.
- Filmed in New York City.
- Allison's apartment building is the Ansonia, almost 100 years old and located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
- Due to contract restrictions, Milena Canonero is credited only as the production designer for SINGLE WHITE FEMALE, although she also served as costume designer and hairstylist on the film.