- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 9, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - Korean, French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish, Portuguese - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Music Video: "When I Dream"
- Featurette: The Making Of SHIRI
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 02/08/2002
"...Mr. Kang is a gifted choreographer of bloody chaos, but he has enough range and imagination to strew a few interludes of haunting tenderness amid the shell casings..."
Hollywood Reporter - 02/05/2002
"...A whiz-bang opening and emotional, John Woo-inflected finale are exciting..."
Los Angeles Times - 02/08/2002
"...SHIRI is a superior political thriller in which jolting action strikes a balance with serious reflection and genuine emotion..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/08/2002
"...Kang is a stylish director who is at ease as John Woo or Luc Besson when it comes to presenting surreal, stylized violence....He has created a rich feel that resonates with vibrancy..."
In 1992, Hee was trained by a secret North Korean terrorist organization to be a deadly assassin. Six years later, her extreme accuracy has taken the lives of many in South Korea, and Ryu--a special agent of OP, Korea's top secret intelligence agency--along with his cohort Lee, have devoted years to capturing slippery Hee to no avail. Ryu keeps his profession a secret from his pretty fiance, Hyun--a recovering alcoholic who runs a tropical fish store. Meanwhile, Hee's organization has hijacked a military truck transporting CTX, an explosive potent enough to destroy the entire city of Seoul, for potential use at a soccer match between North and South Korea, which is being staged as an attempt to heal the rocky relationship between the two countries. Ryu gets word of the potential destruction, but will he be able to find the mysterious Hee and stop it in time'
Je-Kyu Kang's high-tech thriller surpassed all box office records in Korea by combining breathtaking action sequences with timely politics.
- Theatrical Release Date: February 8, 2002 (NY)
- Original Production Year: 1999.