Steve & Eydie Sing The Golden Hits
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 8010
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Universal Music MCAD-22016 (1990)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A budget-priced 10-track collection of favorites from Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme. All original recordings.
- 1.I've Heard That Song Before
- 2.Green Eyes
- 3.Who Wouldn't Love You
- 5.(I'll Be With You In) Apple Blossom Time
- 6.Sentimental Journey
- 7.Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen
- 8.I Got A Gal In Kalamazoo
- 9.I Don't Want To Walk Without You
- 10.I Hear A Rhapsody
The phrase "golden hits" in the title of an album usually suggests a best-of compilation of an act's most popular recordings, so it should be pointed out up front that Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme's second duo LP for ABC-Paramount Records consists of all-new recordings. Most of the selections are "golden hits," but not for this duo. As they explain in the special lyrics added to the lead-off tune, "I've Heard That Song Before," the intention here is to present Lawrence and Gorme (or, as it turns out, Lawrence or Gorme) in renditions of a batch of standards, songs that date to the big-band era. The inclusion of songs like "Green Eyes" (Jimmy Dorsey), "And the Angels Sing" (Benny Goodman), "Marie" (Tommy Dorsey), and "I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo" (Glenn Miller) is appropriate, since Lawrence and Gorme are, stylistically, throwback singers whose sensibility dates back to the swing years; they sing in a clear, untroubled manner, just the way band singers used to. And they are at their best on uptempo numbers like the spirited version of the Andrews Sisters' breakout hit "Bei Mir Bist du Schon," which they nail. Unlike their debut album together, We Got Us, this one does not consist entirely of duets; Gorme is heard alone on "I'll Be with You in Apple Blossom Time," "And the Angels Sing," and "I Don't Want to Walk Without You," while Lawrence takes "I Hear a Rhapsody," "Marie," and "White Christmas" by himself. The variety makes for a good change of approaches throughout the disc. ~ William Ruhlmann
We Got Us / Steve & Eydie Sing the Golden Hits (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE