Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 3 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 1, 2009
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by writer/director Frank Darabout
- Additional scenes Waking the Mile: the making of the Green Mile documentary
- Miracles and Mystery: creating the Green Mile featurette gallery
- Tom Hanks makeup tests
- Michael Clarke Duncan screen test
- The Teaser Trailer: a case study
- Theatrical trailers
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Subtitles - Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Tom Hanks &
Michael Clarke Duncan
Harry Dean Stanton,
William Sadler &
David Valdes &
Director of Photography:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"This big man is about to pull off your ears. Aren't you going to listen to him'"
- Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks), regarding John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan)
"On the day of my judgement, when I stand before God, and he asks me why did I kill one of his true miracles...what am I gonna say' That is was my job' My job'"
- Paul Edgecomb to John Coffey
"...[A] powerful and meticulously crafted drama....Hanks excels..."
Entertainment Weekly - 06/16/2000
"...[Hanks] is on par with his career-best work....A long walk to a worthwhile destination..." -- Rating: A-
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/10/1999
"...There are several sequences of powerful emotion in the film....It tells a story with beginning, middle, end, vivid characters, humor, outrage and emotional release..."
THE GREEN MILE, based on a Depression-era tale by Stephen King, tells the story of the unusual bond that is formed between Paul Edgecomb, a Louisiana security guard, and John Coffey, a gentle and gigantic inmate on death row.
Based On A Novel |
- Theatrical release: December 10, 1999.
- Most of the film was shot on the soundstage on the set of Cell Block E, the film's death row cell. The remaining scenes were shot in Nashville Tennessee, and Blowing Rock, North Carolina.
- Tom Hanks elected to bulk up, weight-wise, for this film so that he seemed intimidating as a prison warden.
- Although Michael Clarke Duncan had previously appeared in films such as FRIDAY and BULWORTH, his role in THE GREEN MILE dramatically raised his profile.
- Certain VHS and DVD versions include the behind-the-scenes documentary WALKING THE MILE.
- THE GREEN MILE won People's Choice Awards for Favorite Motion Picture and Favorite Dramatic Motion Picture at the January 2001 ceremonies.