- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 13 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 29, 2000
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0- English
- Dolby Digital 5.1- English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Featurette: HBO First Look: THE MAKING OF RANDOM HEARTS
- Isolated Music Score
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Audio Commentary: Sydney Pollack- Director
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menu
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 12/??/1999
"...Complexly structured and put together with Pollack's usual polish..."
New York Times - 10/08/1999
"...Handsomely photographed....It incorporates a full reserve of hard-won wisdom about the perils that can befall a marriage..."
USA Today - 10/08/1999
"...Scott Thomas is alternately elegant and down-to-earth..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/08/1999
"...[With] emotional and involving performances by stars Harrison Ford and Kristin Scott Thomas..."
Director Sydney Pollack explores what happens when the worlds of Dutch Van Den Broeck, a tough internal affairs cop, and Kay Chandler, a congresswoman embroiled in her reelection campaign, collide as a result of a plane crash that kills both of their spouses. When it is revealed that the dearly departed were engaged in a licentious affair together, the survivors are left with the daunting task of rebuilding their shattered lives.
Sydney Pollack directs this dark drama in which Harrison Ford plays Dutch Van Den Broeck, a tough internal affairs cop who takes pride in not missing a thing. Dutch is brought down suddenly when he discovers that his wife, Peyton, who was supposed to be on an assignment shooting a magazine spread, has been killed in a plane crash and was found to be traveling with a man whom she never mentioned. Meanwhile, Kay Chandler (Kristin Scott Thomas), a congresswoman with a teenage daughter, embroiled in her reelection campaign, discovers that her husband, Cullen, was on board with Dutch's wife. Each of them soon comes across mysterious keys that lead them to the places that their former spouses met on vacation and in the city. They are then forced to view the remains of their dearly departeds licentious affair. Confused and desperate for more answers, the two survivors lean on one another and attempt the daunting task of rebuilding their shattered lives while untangling a mysterious web of betrayal and danger. The screenplay is based on the novel by Warren Adler.
- Theatrical release: October 8, 1999.
- Filmed on location in New York, Virginia, New Jersey, Maryland, and Florida.